Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Range Won't come out of Sabbath Mode agr5735qdb

sabbath mode

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 morsekathan@gmail.com

morsekathan@gmail.com

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ice Tea

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:18 PM

My Amana gas range seems to be stuck in Sabbath Mode. We have tried the pressing of "clock" for 3 or 5 seconds and this doesn't do anything, as well as turning off the power to the range. Occasionally it comes out of Sabbath Mode long enough for us to bake something, but just as we begin to hope that the oven has given up celebrating its own Sabbath (which, btw, doesn't correspond to the Jewish or Christian Sabbath), it goes back in Sabbath mode.

Right now, it is refusing to bake anything (or broil for that matter). It also says "lock" over the time, when it decides to display the time at all. During the brief time it was out of sabbath mode yesterday, the "lock" over the time flashed. It has also capriciously decided to lock the door at various times, latest being last Friday when we needed to bake a cake. Fortunately, we have nice neighbors. It finally unlocked itself, but went right into Sabbath mode.

Any ideas? I would think that short of clerical intervention, we need a new control panel, but what about the locking? Do we also need a new lock mechanism and how hard it that to replace?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:22 PM

If you press "Cancel" and "Cook and Hold" simultaneously for 3 seconds it will enable/disable the Child lockout feature Which results in the displays and locking that you describe - Could be that cooking grease vapors have invaded the touchpad and is causing shorts in the keytails

Become an Apprentice Appliantologist and Enjoy Special Perks
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:32 PM

.. Occasionally it comes out of Sabbath Mode ... it goes back in
... It has also capriciously decided to lock the door at various times,

have you recently used Self-Clean ? :nono:

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 AppGuy

AppGuy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:15 AM

You have to love self clean. It makes me alot of money out there in the field. Amazes me that they can put that small of relay's on the board and then add a self clean feature.

#5 morsekathan@gmail.com

morsekathan@gmail.com

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ice Tea

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:25 AM

I have used the self clean only once years ago. It set off the smoke detectors, terrified the dog and drove the children out of the house. I just clean the oven the old fashion way with spray bottle and sponge. We don't eat meat, so there isn't that much to clean.

I tried the cancel/cook hold routine. Doesn't change anything.

What do people think about getting a refurbished board instead of a new one?

#6 AppGuy

AppGuy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:04 AM

Personally I wish there were more refurbished parts out there. But problem is if they only replace the bad part and not typical problems parts like all the relay's etc. GE Top mount fridges used to have a relay that would burn out because there was not enough solder to keep the joint from getting too hot. I had fixed numerous numbers of those by replacing the relay and never got a callback on em. but in this throw away society you wont see much of that. My TV is a 47"LCD that got thrown away for a $600.00 power supply. Replacing $7.00 worth of capacitors 3yrs with higher voltage same farad ones made it a heck of a TV. My friends still drool over my $7.00 TV!

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:03 AM

Contact the folks over at fixyourboard.com they pride themselves in rebuilding - with your symptoms though, I wouldn't rule out the keypad being at fault
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics