Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Check out our online tech training courses at Master Samurai Tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
frunch

How to replace door hinges on KUDP02FRBL1 Kitchen Aid dishwasher?

3 posts in this topic

Hello fellow appliantologists!

I am fixing a Kitchen Aid dishwasher (model#: KUDP02FRBL1) that broke the spring cables(as they all do!), but in this case the door dropped down and bent a hinge (as far as I can tell). The hinges had apparently been rubbing or binding before the problem occured. The door has a wooden trim panel on the front that must add a good 15 pounds or more to the weight of the door, so I figure that had partly to do with the problem. At this point, the right side of the door is higher than the left side, preventing the door from closing. Looking closer at the hinges, it looks like the right hinge popped off the round protrusion that it hinges on(part of the dishwasher's frame?)

Anyhow, I'm planning on replacing the pulleys and cables for the door springs, and replacing the hinges while I'm at it. I have never changed the hinges before, and was wondering if anyone can point me to a walkthrough of the job or give me some info on how the door hinge replacement is performed.

I have lots of experience with these dishwashers, but that is one thing I haven't done on them yet.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Trevor

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Only thing that makes this job tricky at all is that you usually can't see what the cable routing is supposed to look like after it's already broken. But here's a purdy pitcher that'll hepya:

1192073566_bL7tH-M.png

And here's the part link for the replacement cable assembly ==> http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-kitchenaid+dishwasher+pulley-%3d%3dc18i1059756&PartID=1059756

Thanks for your help, Samurai! Unfortunately, it appears the hinges themselves--where the end of the cable closest to the left side in your picture attaches--is also bent or broken. The black metal part that is connected to the door(the hinge I'm assuming it would be called). Any advice how to replace those as well? To quote myself, here's what I found: the right side of the door is higher than the left side, preventing the door from closing. Looking closer at the hinges, it looks like the right hinge popped off the round protrusion that it hinges on(part of the dishwasher's frame?)

I can probably find the part numbers to give you a better idea exactly which parts i'm talking about if it helps. Of course, the job i'm referring to may be super-easy, I've just never done it and am hoping to learn how to before I attempt to do it myself.

Thanks for your help!

Trevor