Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG wm2010cw (Tromm) front load IE error - drain pump stuck on

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bcmike

bcmike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:05 PM

My front load LG washer has been working great since I bought it new 2 years ago (just now beyond the extended warranty). Last week a heavy bath mat caused an unbalanced load and the washer shook quite violently when it was spinning before I shut it off. Ever since, the washer displays an ie error after trying to fill for 10 minutes or so.

I've followed the recommended steps to fix the IE error, checked the inlet hoses, cleaned the inlet filters (weren't very dirty), and even tested the fill level switch inside the machine. all checked out fine.

I believe the problem has to do with the drain pump being stuck on during the fill cycle. As the washer is filling with water, it is constantly being drained so it never fills up. As a test, I deliberately clogged the drain trap with a rolled up sock and the cycle continued without any error, although I stopped it since it obviously took forever to drain. It is not a drain siphoning problem - the drain is fed into a standpipe above the top of the washer and it has plenty of room to breathe. I also ran through the diagnostic test in the LG service manual and during the test it sounds like the drain pump is running the entire time.

Anyone familiar with this problem or have any suggestions? Could it be a wire was disconnected somewhere while it was shaking? I've got the top and back panels off the machine now but I'm not sure where else I should look for the problem?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:43 PM

if you disconnect the pulg to the pump does the machine fill up to the proper level and start to wash or does it wash for a minute and then start to fill again...check the pressure tube from the switch to the tub and make sure it doesnt have a pin hole in it.

If that looks good and the machine fills to the proper level and performs normally in the wash cycle when the pumps disconnected from power then your main board got messed up during the violent shaking
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#3 bcmike

bcmike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:47 AM

Today I disconnected the ground wire from the pump and ran another cycle. The water filled to the proper level and started washing with no IE error. At the same time, I hooked up my multimeter to the drain pump wire (brown) at the back of the main board and it read 119V throughout the entire cycle. Eventually it gave me an 'OE error' after the first wash cycle finished and the water level didn't go down after a few minutes. I guess that means the main board will have to be replaced?

#4 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

Enter DIAGNOSTICS MODE by doing the following:

1) Press & Hold the SPIN SPEED & SOIL LEVEL buttons

2) Then press/release the POWER BUTTON.

3) Wait until the door locks (single click sound)

4) Read the SOFTWARE VERSION CODE in the display.

If the software version is: "IU:00"

You'll need a new MAIN BOARD (EBR43249701) and three new STRUTS (383EER3001F)

This only applies to the WM2010CW washer with SERIAL NUMBERS *up to* 906KWxxxxxx

A flaw in the ***software*** caused excessive spin-vibration----which also usually damaged the STRUTS.

NOTE: The new MAIN BOARD will have a ***software version*** of: IU:03

Edited by john63, 17 September 2011 - 12:31 PM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#5 bcmike

bcmike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

Well I just called LG Canada and explained my problem. I was happy to see that LG Canada has a 3 year warranty on the controller (as opposed to 2 years in the US). Unfortunately I still have to pay $100 for a service call so they can confirm the problem. I am still wondering if the problem may be something other than the control board? Is there any other component that would trigger the controller to keep the drain pump running?

#6 bcmike

bcmike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

4) Read the SOFTWARE VERSION CODE in the display.

If the software version is: "IU:00"

You'll need a new MAIN BOARD (EBR43249701) and three new STRUTS (383EER3001F)

This only applies to the WM2010CW washer with SERIAL NUMBERS *up to* 906KWxxxxxx

A flaw in the ***software*** caused excessive spin-vibration----which also usually damaged the STRUTS.

NOTE: The new MAIN BOARD will have a ***software version*** of: IU:03

Thanks John. I just did what you suggested and I can confirm I have version IU:00 and my serial number is 906KWSB03xxx
I also failed to mention that when I first checked behind the machine after removing the back panel, the first thing I noticed was that one of the struts had completely detached (I assume because of the heavy vibration). It wasn't hard to slip back together.

Does this mean I should get these components repaired free of charge. It is just beyond 2 years since I bought the machine so the labour warranty expired 1 year ago.

#7 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:39 PM

In the US market...

A call to the CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (and ask to speak to their *supervisor*) usually results in a free repair for a documented (known) problem such as yours.

Good luck!
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

#8 bcmike

bcmike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:06 PM

Called customer service again and was told that they have no records of any problems with the the software for the main board of this model washer. They're still going to make me pay for any labour.

#9 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

Service Bulletin no. : WW/M20100276

Date Issued: June 10, 2010
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#10 bcmike

bcmike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:43 AM

The LG technician just left. He replaced the control board with a new one (software version IU:03 just as you said) and it's working great again. He thinks the drain pump relay somehow got jammed closed in the old control board, which he let me keep. He still claims there was no service bulletin for this machine despite all the evidence I showed him that there is one, but he was nice enough not to charge me labour since I had already taken the machine apart and correctly diagnosed the problem (but I was charged $95+tax for the service call).

Thanks guys for all your help!

#11 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:35 PM

<<<He replaced the control board with a new one>>>

The STRUTS/DAMPERS should've been replaced as well.

<<<He thinks the drain pump relay somehow got jammed closed in the old control board>>>

I agree

<<<He still claims there was no service bulletin for this machine>>>

Very odd indeed.

<<<Thanks guys for all your help!>>>

:thumbsup:

Edited by john63, 20 September 2011 - 11:36 PM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics