Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE PSC25PSSCSS Fridge warmish

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HermanA

HermanA

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:38 AM

Howdy appliance gurus- I visit again as penace for my silly, stupid, ignorant mistake of buying GE Profile 5 years ago (please forgive(I just popped a case in your fridge to show I'm really not as stupid as my purchase would seem to make me)). First it was the convection/microwave/oven thingy. NOW it's the stupid profile fridge. Here's how it goes-

For about a year, the fridge has hung out at about 45 degrees, and the freezer about 5, no matter what the setting. The top part of the freezer was warm enough that no ice was forthcoming and everything in the ice bucket melted. After reading around, I checked and the freezer evap fan didn't seem to be chugging along fast enough. So, me thinks- mutha board. So, me replaces mutha board. Now, 4 days later, evap fan seems to be just peachy, freezer side hangs around 0 or -2 but the fridge still sticks at about 43-47ish. Here's what I've checked-

Simple stuff- yes the lights go out with the door switch. Yes, the door seals are fine. Yes, I got my air hose and blew out the hamster cage in the mechanicals area. Yes, the temp readings are accurate- verified with a digital thermometer in both sides. Tried "turbo cool" through a complete cycle and the fridge evap fan goes into high gear, but doesn't really affect the temp.

Diagnostic mode- all fans light up like a christmas tree. Freezer evap, Fridge evap, veggie box circulating fan (whatever you call it), condenser/compressor fan underneath....all just wonderful.
Diagnostic mode- all thermistors pass- 5 of them
Diagnostic mode- defrost mode kicks in just fine and I can see the glow behind the back panel. It cycled for a bit, then went back to cooling with the defrost element turned off

Visual check of freezer evap shows nice even coating of light frost across the entire coil. No solid ice. Fridge evap is clean as a whistle.

I'm kinda down to pulling the thermistors and running them across a multimeter individually, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything- I know there's one on top of the freezer evap, and one on the right wall of the freezer. I've seen some "close model" service manuals online that indicate these arcticas have 2 in the fridge compartment, but mine has one behind the lower grille in the left side wall, but the top grill in the left side wall is empty- no connector or anything.

1) Is there another thermistor in the beer box? If so, which one drives the temp display readout, cos THAT one seems to be okay based on my thermometer verification of the temp in the box.
2) Does anyone have a service manual for this stupid dual evap piece of garbage so I can see the locations of the thermistors?
3) Am I on the wrong track? Something is still wrong with this thing and although the MB seems to have helped, there's something else also going on. There are no dampers in this thing, but there is a small duct with a small fan that seems to drive air from the fridge into the freezer at some point in some cycle but not sure what this does as it's supposed to be 2 separate cooling loops that don't share air. There doesn't seem to be any kind of valve in the sealed system- both coils are in the same loop.

Thanks in advance for any theories/service manuals/ideas that will get my beer cold for football later....

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:44 PM

I'm just seeing one sensor in the FF compt on this model (item 237)

If those thermistors go a little bit out of spec, it'll play games with the temperature control. I'd go ahead and replace the FF thermistor.

PMed you the service manual.

Part link ==> Thermistor

#3 HermanA

HermanA

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:11 PM

Thanks! In my spare time today I pulled the MB cover and unplugged the thermistor connector. All 4 seemed to be right on the money per the ohm chart but they're cheap enough so I'm going to go ahead and do both the FF and FF evap ones. I also checked the coils on the 3-way diverter in the sealed system. They were all fine. Also power cycled the unit and it "felt" like the diverter was cycling as it should on power up. Do these go bad often?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:44 PM

Which type of thermistor do you have installed in your fridge?

Posted Image

#5 HermanA

HermanA

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:24 AM

It's the "good" flat top kind. Also, after you sent the manual I was reminded that the custom cool section has one also which I did not test originally because it is on the cust cool connector not the thermistor connector. I went back and tested that one and it seems a bit off- per the chart it thinks its about 60 in the CC area. I don't think this thing is read except if CC is engaged but going to replace it as well just for grins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics