Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag gas dryer LDG9334AAE not heating--can I jump a Radiant Sensor?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ccmulder

ccmulder

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:11 PM

Ok--have a Maytag Gas Dryer, model number LDG9334AAE that was not heating--no ignition, no sound, no heat, nothing. Its about 10 or 15 years old. So I first tested the Ignitor first --it didn't look too good, but it did test at aboout 70 ohms. So then I moved to the Radiant Sensor. Now, when I pulled it out to test it I failed to notice whether the black and white wire were connected. When I inspected it, one of the receptors (the one for the white wire) was IN THE WHITE WIRE receptacle which means it had broken off the radiant sensor. OR I broke it off when taking out the sensor. The point is I would like to test to see if this is the bad part. I need the part anyway at this point (whether it had broken from age or being moved or whether I broke it) but I would like to know I don't need to order any other part. Obviously, if I can jump the sensor and the dryer heats then I know that's it but I am not very experienced at this stuff so I have no idea what the sensor does or how to jump the sensor or if its even possible?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:30 PM

you could jumper the Black and White wires of the Radiant Sensor to see if the Ignitor will glow,
but with it jumpered, the Gas Valve Coils won't open.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 ccmulder

ccmulder

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:08 PM

you could jumper the Black and White wires of the Radiant Sensor to see if the Ignitor will glow,
but with it jumpered, the Gas Valve Coils won't open.

Well it didn't do anything before so at least this will tell me if that was the problem. I checked the thermostats and the timer and those were fine. I did not check the gas valve coils because I got no ignition at all initially. How do I "jump" it (just connect two wires and tape together with electrical tape?). And can I turn it on with the door off? Will it work?

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:56 PM

... (just connect two wires and tape together with electrical tape?).
... And can I turn it on with the door off? Will it work?

1) yes
2) yes, but Door Switch must be "closed"

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 ccmulder

ccmulder

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:02 PM

Well I jumpered the two wires and started the dryer and sure enough the ignitor works. I soldered the little piece that came off and now the dryer works!!! Still ordering the replacement part though because I don't trust the soldered part.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,711 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:07 PM

Nice work! Here's your replacement radiant sensor ==> Flame Sensor

#7 ccmulder

ccmulder

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:22 PM

Nice work! Here's your replacement radiant sensor ==> Flame Sensor

Thank you.

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,656 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:28 AM

Just an add on to this discussion for anyone who reads it later.

The full way to bypass and test if the radiant sensor is the problem:
1) UNPLUG DRYER FIRST!
2) remove both wires from the radiant sensor
3) bypass the sensor by sliding the two connector terminals together and make sure they are away from everything
4) plug the dryer back in and set to a timer position that should heat.
5) start dryer and and watch for igniter to start glowing.
6) if the igniter glows wait about 10 to 12 seconds and pull the two wires apart carefully making sure not to touch the ends or short them to anything.
7) if all else is OK with the dryer the flame should light up when you separate the two radiant sensor wires
8) if the above all works OK and it didn't before then replacing the radiant sensor should fix your problem.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 19 September 2011 - 05:29 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#9 ccmulder

ccmulder

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

Just an add on to this discussion for anyone who reads it later.

The full way to bypass and test if the radiant sensor is the problem:
1) UNPLUG DRYER FIRST!
2) remove both wires from the radiant sensor
3) bypass the sensor by sliding the two connector terminals together and make sure they are away from everything
4) plug the dryer back in and set to a timer position that should heat.
5) start dryer and and watch for igniter to start glowing.
6) if the igniter glows wait about 10 to 12 seconds and pull the two wires apart carefully making sure not to touch the ends or short them to anything.
7) if all else is OK with the dryer the flame should light up when you separate the two radiant sensor wires
8) if the above all works OK and it didn't before then replacing the radiant sensor should fix your problem.

Isn't it easier (and safer) to simply test the radiant sensor with a multitester, then jump the wires to be sure?

#10 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,656 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:28 AM

All depends on if you have a meter and know how to use it!

Only test you can make on the radiant sensor is ohms to make sure it is closed when it is cold, much more difficult to test to see if it's opening or not.

If the radiant sensor had failed closed, (welded points), then the igniter would glow and continue to glow and never shut off to let gas flow and ignite, (Not a very common occurrence), but could be verified by the above test.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 20 September 2011 - 05:29 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#11 ccmulder

ccmulder

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

All depends on if you have a meter and know how to use it!

Only test you can make on the radiant sensor is ohms to make sure it is closed when it is cold, much more difficult to test to see if it's opening or not.

If the radiant sensor had failed closed, (welded points), then the igniter would glow and continue to glow and never shut off to let gas flow and ignite, (Not a very common occurrence), but could be verified by the above test.

Ok--thank you. In my case obviously, it was a broken connector although the dryer has not been moved. I guess it occurred from vibration when it was running.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

The Willie Method ™ for testing the radiant (flame) sensor in a gas dryer burner

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 19 September 2011 - 07:13 AM

Gas dryer not firing up and all the components of the burner check out good but you're not sure how to check that flame sensor on the side of the burner tube? Samurai Appliance Repair Academy Fellow Budget Appliance Repair (a.k.a., Willie) reveals the wax on-wax off moves for testing the radiant sensor in a gas dryer.

Here's the part link for the repla...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics