Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

No agitation on Whirlpool GSX9885JQO

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_paul260426_*

Lurker_paul260426_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:46 AM

Hello and Thanks for any help here...

I purchased a used washing machine.

It arrived here in the Dominican Republic and here we have only a cold water inlet line. So I hooked it up and it fills water but when it switches to the agitation mode the machine does nothing. I can hear something that sounds like the motor is running but the agitator is not moving.

How should I proceed to troubleshoot this?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,609 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:10 AM

Sounds suspiciously like a broken drive coupler.

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 29 April 2005 - 12:04 PM

I agree with Samurai, your likely problem is the drive coupling. If the machine will fill and drain, but not agitate or spin, you need a coupling. Whirlpool part #285753.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 Lurker_paul260426_*

Lurker_paul260426_*

Posted 29 April 2005 - 04:00 PM

You guys were right. Thank you. Can I order the part from you?

#5 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 29 April 2005 - 04:18 PM

Click on the link on Samurais' reply, it's a common part in the States, but might be scarce where you are. His link gives great instuctions on how to do the repair. Take your time, it will go well. 
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#6 TyrranzzX

TyrranzzX

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 04:32 PM

Alternativally, you can order the part to someone in america and have them send it to you; there are several mail relay services around that you can use I'm fairly sure.

#7 Lurker_paul260426_*

Lurker_paul260426_*

Posted 30 April 2005 - 06:14 AM

I was reading through your coupler replacement procedure and at the bottom...someone mentions that they replace the coupler and the machine locks up and breaks the coupler again. You say...bad transmission.

Is there a way to check the transmission ahead of time? I don't want to order this part, wait two weeks, and then find out it is a bad transmission.

Thank You.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,609 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:05 PM

That's a pretty rare scenario.  Samurai's 8th Law of Appliance Repair states, "Fix the obvious problem(s) first." 

The odd of success are overwhelmingly in your favor.

#9 Lurker_kabutu1_*

Lurker_kabutu1_*

Posted 30 April 2005 - 04:27 PM

I just fixed my Whirlpool coupler and tried running the machine.  However, it still does not agitate .  It will still fill and spin and drain but it hums when it agitates.  What next?  Help please!!!

#10 Lurker_paul260426_*

Lurker_paul260426_*

Posted 01 May 2005 - 08:25 AM

I found the part local here and fixed it. I needed it right away as it is a surprise for my wife.

I note that the washer...when going through the wash cycle...has a pretty good kick when stopping. Would this be a possible problem and the reason the coupler went bad in the first place. Is there anything to do about it?

Also, I am now going to make a donation to the United Samurai Beer Fund. Enjoy the Suds.

Thank You.

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,609 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 05:36 PM

[user=0]paul260426[/user] wrote:

I note that the washer...when going through the wash cycle...has a pretty good kick when stopping. Would this be a possible problem and the reason the coupler went bad in the first place. Is there anything to do about it?

It's just a little scale built up on the brake from not being used for a while. Run it and stop it a few times and it'll smooth out. Wouldn't have had anything to do with the coupler breaking. The coupler is a normal wear item, like a drive belt.

Also, I am now going to make a donation to the United Samurai Beer Fund. Enjoy the Suds.

Thank You.

Thank YOU! :gulp:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics