Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Whirlpool Ice dispenser problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_macfisto_*

Lurker_macfisto_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:32 AM

Hello,

I have a Whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator that is suddenly only giving me crushed ice.  I wrote the model number down last night, but I must have made a mistake because I can't find it anywhere on the web.  Anyway, the number I have is ED25RFXB00.  Last night I removed the ice tub and inspected everything.  The metal rod that fits into a stirrup on the back of the freezer appears to be working properly (it fits into the stirrup and the stirrup moves up and down while in the cubed position).  At the front of the ice tub where the ice is released and sent down the shute and out the door, the rod makes contact with a plastic thing and moves it (but just a little).  Is this plastic part supposed to be moved a little more to allow it to release cubes instead of crushing them?  Needless to say, I'm completely stumped.  Also, the little flap door that opens to allow the ice to pass through doesn't seem to be closing properly either.  This seems to have caused a bit of frost build-up, which I cleaned out last night.  Please help!!

Thanks,

Rob

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:06 AM

Probably the crusher/cuber solenoid in back of the ice bin, behind the freezer wall.

#3 Lurker_macfisto_*

Lurker_macfisto_*

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:23 AM

Thanks for the reply.  Could you explain what a solenoid is?  And when you say behind the freezer wall, do you mean on the outside of the freezer?  Is this an expensive part?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:46 AM

Behind the inside freezer wall, item 3

Piece of pie, buy it here.

#5 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:49 AM

The solenoid is what raises up the saddle that you described which is inside the freezer behind the wall (Don't pay attention to the guy behind the curtain):D  Remove the ice bucket and depress the door switch put the ice dispensor switch on cube and depress lever, look to see if the solenoid(saddle) raises up, if it does your problem lies with the ice dipensor flap not closing. Take the bucket and remove all of the ice out run water through it to get rid of any chunks that are frozen together in the housing. Clean that flap off real good and make sure it's sealing. Report back and let's us know what you find.

#6 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:52 AM

Sorry Samurai didn't mean to step on any toes, didn't notice you were back;) 

#7 Lurker_macfisto_*

Lurker_macfisto_*

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:40 AM

Sorry guys -- guess I wasn't clear enough in my initial post.  The solenoid does raise up, so I guess that means that's not the problem.  I did take out the ice bucket last night and run water through it to a certain extent.  This morning after more ice had been made, I tried to get cubed ice and I still couldn't.  Do you think there might be more ice stuck up in the area on the ice bucket where the teeth are that crush the ice?  Is something in there supposed to act differently when either cubed or crushed is selected?  The problem with the flap is that it just remains open after ice has been dispensed.  Will I need to buy a new flap to correct this problem?  Thanks!!

#8 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:54 AM

Yes I think that there is more ice stuck up where the blades are but your main problem lies with the door flap not closing, Here is the Kit#1028769 Ice chute door kit

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:01 AM

[user=16]FatMan[/user] wrote:

Sorry Samurai didn't mean to step on any toes, didn't notice you were back;) 

Step all you want, my friend, I appreciate your help in the forum.  :)

Mac, here's the link to the chute kit that FatMan identified for you.

#10 Lurker_macfisto_*

Lurker_macfisto_*

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:02 AM

Thanks -- is there a link to that door kit?  I am unable to find it.  Just out of curiousity though, why is the door flap not closing causing the dispenser not to dispense cubed ice all of a sudden?  This is all an education to me!

Thanks!

#11 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:17 AM

Mac, here's the link to the chute kit that FatMan identified for you
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#12 Lurker_macfisto_*

Lurker_macfisto_*

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:03 AM

Hey guys,

Just a quick update.  I was able to repair the door flap over the weekend -- it turns out that the spring mechanism had simply come loose and I re-attached it.  So now the flap opens and closes properly.  However, I still get no cubed ice.  Please advise as to what I should do at this point to fix this problem?  Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics