Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag HAV2557AWW Washer - Grinding Noise

HAV2557AWW Noise

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pope

pope

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Firestone Double Barrel Ale

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:21 PM

Sensei,

Within the last week my HAV2557AWW washer started to make some noise, although it seems over the last year the balance was getting worse and worse with towels. As far as the noise, at first it was just a little when it ramped up during the spin cycle. I was hoping for something simple like the Snubber and springs. However today it started making noise while just agitating as well as the spin. I have attached two videos below (hopefully) of the noise during the spin cycle.

Spin Cylce:
Agitate Cycle:

It could be that I neglected the out of balance thing for so long that I ruined something else. If it is the transmission it seems the cost, time, and tools required make find a working used washer on Craigslist a better use of money. True?

Arigato.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:23 PM

For the record, that is a MAYTAG machine, not a KENMORE - and it sounds like you may have a foreign object in the pump

More info here: http://fixitnow.com/...erforma-washer/
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:02 PM

Topic title edited to correct the brand.

The pump bearings could be bad, too. They're common noisemakers in this machine.

Part link ==> Drain Pump

#4 pope

pope

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:12 PM

Sorry about the Maytag/Kemore mixup and thanks for the answers. I like the idea of replacing the pump since that seems not too bad. If I take it out, will be able to turn it by hand and feel/listen for the problem? Ideally I'd like to diagnose it before buying the $80 pump.

Thanks

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:22 PM

Remove the belt from the pump pulley and turn the pulley by hand. If it doesn't turn smoothly but feels gravelly, it's bad.

#6 pope

pope

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:11 PM

Wow, it was bad under there. As you guessed the pump had gone bad, it was really noisy to turn and felt gravely while turning by hand. It was so bad that the belt must of been slipping because it is pretty toasted and burned rubber has accumulated around the motor pulley. While I was in there I saw white flakes near the snubber ring suggesting that probably needs replacing too. It looks like I'll need pump, belt, snubber, and maybe springs to get this bad boy happy again. I'm worried my neglect may have harmed the motor, however it does turn fine.

Thanks for the help.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:52 AM

Your shopping list:

Belt, Drive

Drain Pump

Snubber Ring

Suspension Spring

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

I heard some brake squeakage in your vid's as well, may as well take care of that while you are in there

http://www.repaircli...mber=HAV2557AWW

01084862.jpg

http://www.repaircli...mber=HAV2557AWW

00879822.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#9 pope

pope

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

I wanted to follow up on this post and thank you for your help. Looking at the $175 in parts to get this into tip top shape, and the likelihood that the the transmission will be the next to fail, plus the insistence from my wife wanting to reliably get baby clothes clean, have led me to move onto buying a new machine instead.

As a token of appreciation for your help I bought a mug of beer at the United Samurai Fund. The timer, motor, or other items may be of some value, if there is anyone on here who buys such things. Thanks.

#10 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

Wise decision :gulp:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics