Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Spectra Range w/ F0

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gsherrill

gsherrill

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:33 AM

The subject is a GE Spectra JB960 convection range purchased 3/2001. (Model # JB960AB4AA). Current state is a flashing clock that continues to keep time on the right of the display, with a solid "F0" on the left half of the display. All of the buttons on the control panel are inactive. Removing power from the unit for five minutes, then restoring power, did not change the situation. (Tried that 2x.) Upon power-up, the display returns to the state described above and the unit beeps every second for a few minutes, then stops beeping. All burners on the cooktop continue to operate correctly.

No aberant behavior was observed before this evening. While cooking dinner this evening, though, an attempt to pre-heat the oven to 450 (in regular bake mode) seemed to stop at 417. Upon pressing stop, then using convection bake to preheat to 450, the thermostat did record the temperature going to 450 with the appropriate "beep" to indicate the set point was reached. Pressed stop at that point, then pressed bake, set 450, pressed start, and the unit correctly indicated 450. The range remained in bake at 450 for about 20 minutes, at which point it was turned off. About an hour and a half later, I heard the stove start beeping, and upon inspection noticed the display in the state described above.

I understand that F0 indicates a thermistor control failure, and want to be sure that my only recourse is to replace the ERC. From posts on your site it appears that touchpad issues would usually result in an F1, at least at some point. I will check the thermistor this evening to be sure it is reading about 1 k ohm at room temp. Do I troubleshoot an F0 (with no other fault codes) the same as an F1 and remove the touch pad connection, etc.? Thanks for your service!!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:47 AM

Depends on what style range, here are your options:

F0 or F1 Failed transistor in control.
1.  If code cannot be cancelled, replace the Electronic Range Control (ERC) or touch pad.

GE
XL44 Self Clean Oven Fault Codes

Failure Code Condition Check/Repair

F0 - F1 - F7 Stuck keypad may mean relay is turned on. Determine if problem is with the Key Panel or Control by:
1. Pushing CLEAR/OFF pad.
2. Disconnecting Ribbon Cable from control and waiting at least 32 seconds to see if Code recurs.
3. If code recurs, problem is in the control. Replace Control.
4. If code does not recur, problem is with the Key Panel.

GE
"New '99" Range/Stove/Oven Fault Codes

FFF Control Error.
1.  Failed EEPROM Replace Control.

F0 or F7 Shorted Clear/Off Key due to membrane switch, control or connector Shorted key panel membrane switch.
1.  Check Electronic Range Control (ERC).

GE
Range/Stove/Oven Fault Codes

F0 and F1 Failed Thermistor Control
1.  Replace Electronic Range Control (ERC).

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 gsherrill

gsherrill

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:46 PM

Based on the model number and all literature I have on it, it's neither the "XL44" nor the "New 99" type, so that leaves me with the generic fault code, which simply says "replace ERC" for both F0 and F1. But I know from other posts here that an F1 on the GE may be due to a touch pad rather than a bad ERC. Are there other possibilites for F0 as well? Do I approach this as you would an F1, or is there another troubleshooting approach appropriate for this situation? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 05:25 AM

You are going to think I am a parts pusher, not the case at all, what I have seen in the tech forums is both end up being replaced..  On the GE ranges it is suggested by GE to do this since whichever you replace the other one will need to be replaced also.  I would replace both.  If you decide to order one or the other and they are bought thru this site, which I have nothing to do with except help with questions when I can, I get no kickback from any parts sales,  they can be returned for a full refund less shipping both ways.   Do not see how you can loose?  ;)

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#5 gsherrill

gsherrill

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 05:30 AM

Understood. Thanks so much for the quick response - and at 9:30 on a Saturday morning! Hope y'all have a great day in Texas today!

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,189 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:46 AM

Hey, nice table of fault codes-- domo!  :dude:

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 12:33 PM

Thanks Guy....;)

#8 gsherrill

gsherrill

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:37 AM

OK, I ordered both the ERC and the control panel kit per your recommendations; I just received the panel, but unfortunately the ERC will be later than repairclinic.com expected (sometime after 11/28). I'm aware of the concerns of replacing the ERC if the panel is what caused the problem (bad panel could ruin the new ERC). To anyone's knowledge, though, is the reverse true? If the ERC is bad, is it reasonable to be concerned that it could corrupt a new panel?

My wife would really like me to try and replace the panel now, hoping to find that it was the problem, so we'll be able to use the oven on Thanksgiving. We do have the option of cooking at my in-law's rather than having them at our house. So, would you try replacing the panel before getting the new ERC, or eat at the in-law's? (Not a trick question - they are great folks!) :D

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,189 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:46 AM

Wait and install both at the same time.

#10 gsherrill

gsherrill

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:49 AM

As it has been written, so it shall be done!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics