Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG wm2140cw

Replacing front load washer

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 nanasaidso

nanasaidso

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:29 PM

Our Frigidaire 'tumblewash' front loader from 1999 has terminal bearing failure. Yes, I know we got over twice the life most people did with this model. We've had few problems (other than when the DS ran a pocket full of nails through it), mostly because I rant about using only HE in small amounts, only running balanced loads, and running whites and towels in hot water.

Quality being what it is in the washer arena these days, and budget being what it is, I've come down to the LG wm2140cw currently on sale for $629.99 at Sears, and $649 at HD. HD will not charge for delivery and haul-off of old washer, and I'm still mourning the Sears I lost when K-Mart took over, so it'll probably be HD.

Anybody have any opinions for or against LG and this model in particular? I picked it because I can't find many complaints about it, and most of those are from people who screw it up with the detergent.

Also, I'm wondering about the installation. The DH built a platform for the Frigidaire w&d that's two feet high, made of 2/4's and plywood, mounted on six 4"hx3"w heavy-duty rubber casters. It's level, braked, and rigid. Hubby built it because our septic drain is 5' high instead of being in the basement floor, and the line the washers drains into is 6' high. The platform was designed to bring the drain hose within the maximum allowable length/height per washer installation instructions. This set up hasn't seemed to bother the Frigidaire, but in researching what to buy, I saw a couple of posts saying wood platforms are a no-no. Is the platform likely to be a problem with a newer washer?

Thanks for any and all help.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:21 PM

I dislike all front load washers and all top load washers that don't have an agitator. I would at least buy a Whirlpool Duet front load washer because they are made in the USA by a company in the USA. I am against LG because they are a Korean company and their parts and service stink.
Scott Wolf

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

... Anybody have any opinions for or against LG and this model in particular?
... people who screw it up with the detergent.
... built a platform for the Frigidaire w&d that's two feet high, made of 2/4's and plywood

1) we've been using an LG for years and no problems
2) yes ... detergent problems if not using HE
3) should be OK if your RFrigidaire worked OK

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

Scott Wolf wrote some time ago...

As an ex auto assembly plant worker, I'm sick of imports period. When you have your job eliminated because everybody keeps buying imports, you'll understand.

Out of work? Keep buying imports!

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:16 PM

Scott Wolf wrote some time ago...
... everybody keeps buying imports, you'll understand.

... I'm also an ex-auto tech ..
but whose fault is it that everyone is buying the imports ?
Are they better ? (U.S. car design / engineers fault ? / unresponsive to buyers preferences / purchases ?)
Maybe it's Obama's fault :wub:

#6 nanasaidso

nanasaidso

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

Scott, my Toyota was made here in the U.S. My 1995 Ford Windstar was made in Canada, and was the reason I'll never buy a Ford again without significant grovelling on the part of the company, and a major guarantee against the outright fraud Ford perpetrated with that van. It wasn't the defects, and they were bad, it was the way the company handled them. Even when they finally admitted their major design flaw with the head gasket which they knew about from the beginning, they refused to compensate all the people who'd already paid for repairs. The problems with the wheel bearings were never made public; I found out when I almost lost two wheels on the freeway. The silent recall on the front coil springs we discovered after one broke; thank God I wasn't on the highway that time. Beyond that, there is no such thing as an American car anymore. Where did the steel come from? The electronics? The nuts, bolts, fabric, etc.? Who are the major stockholders? It seems to me, the best we can do these days is buy the most reliable product we can afford. I buy American when I can find a product that's worth buying, and I'm willing to pay more for that privilege.

As far as your prejudice against front loaders, again, my experience has been different. Our first front loader was paid for in the first two years by my not having to spend more than $30 a month hauling sleeping bags (3 active scouts) and comforters to the laundramat. The reduced use of water and electricity is good for the environment, as is the reduced use of detergent. Incidently, direct drive top loaders lost my business when they first came out because they tore clothes up. I bought what I think was the last belt driven top loader in 1989, a speed queen, and it got us through til we bought that first front loader.

#7 nanasaidso

nanasaidso

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:48 PM

I dislike all front load washers and all top load washers that don't have an agitator. I would at least buy a Whirlpool Duet front load washer because they are made in the USA by a company in the USA. I am against LG because they are a Korean company and their parts and service stink.

Scott; I checked out the Whirlpool Duets as per your suggestion. Unfortunately, they have some of the worst reviews I've seen, and very few positive reviews. Is there a particular model you recommend? We're not looking for anything with steam.

#8 nanasaidso

nanasaidso

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:08 PM

Scott; I was doing a little more research into the Whirlpool Duets, and found they are not made in the USA, they are made in a whirlpool factory in Germany. This seems to apply only to the Duets.

#9 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:12 PM

wrong. The old generation of Duets were made in Germany, the new generation of Duets are made in Clyde, Ohio, USA. The old generation of Duets had their problems. The new generation are direct drive, just like the LGs.
Scott Wolf

#10 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:34 PM

One other thing, and alot of people fail to see the big picture, If your Toyota is made in the USA and Toyota's in Japan, the profits go to JAPAN, NOT USA!
Scott Wolf

#11 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:35 PM

... Duets ... The new generation are direct drive, just like the LGs.

.. the new Duets WFW9xHEX

#12 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:37 PM

ALSO, at least Ford didn't pay people to keep their safetey defects a secret, like Toyota did.

Scott Wolf

#13 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:38 PM

... the profits go to JAPAN, NOT USA!

... also depends who owns the stocks

ALSO, at least Ford didn't pay people to keep their safetey defects a secret, like Toyota did.

... they wouldn't be able to afford to :whistling:

#14 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:26 PM

<<<Anybody have any opinions for or against LG and this model in particular?>>>

I think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread :)

<<<Is the platform likely to be a problem with a newer washer?>>>

As Regus mentioned---if it was good enough for the Frigidaire front loader---it'll *likely* be fine for the LG washer.

Good luck!
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#15 nanasaidso

nanasaidso

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:51 AM

wrong. The old generation of Duets were made in Germany, the new generation of Duets are made in Clyde, Ohio, USA. The old generation of Duets had their problems. The new generation are direct drive, just like the LGs.

Are there any specific model #'s you can suggest? One's without steam, which frankly, I just don't see any great advantage to.

#16 nanasaidso

nanasaidso

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

One other thing, and alot of people fail to see the big picture, If your Toyota is made in the USA and Toyota's in Japan, the profits go to JAPAN, NOT USA!

The profits go to the stockholders. How many of the major stockholders of Ford, Chevy, etc., reside in the USA? At least the assembly of my Toyota provided wages to workers here. In the big picture, because we drive reliable vehicles, we have more money available to support our local economy. I am in complete agreement with you that whenever possible, we should 'buy American'. Where we diverge is that I don't believe in rewarding any company for producing an inferior product when they should and could be making the best in the world.

#17 nanasaidso

nanasaidso

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:30 AM

Actually, they did. I refer you again to the 95 Ford Windstar. Incidentally, we bought the Windstar to replace an 89 Mercury Sable wagon totaled in a head-on collision with a Bronco. I was doing 25mph (the speed limit), the kid in the Bronco was doing 75mph, in our lane on a blind corner. My MIL and I survived because my Sable protected us. I liked my Sable, despite quality issues which cost us some big bucks. Ford lost us as customers because of the deceitful, dishonest, disgraceful way they handled their epic engineering fail with the Windstar.

#18 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:30 PM

and Toyota (and / or LG or whatever) would then be repaired here in the US,
but maybe by "foreigners" ... heaven forbid. :groucho:

#19 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,868 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:36 AM

Maybe it's Obama's fault :wub:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 nanasaidso

nanasaidso

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:59 PM

The great washing machine hunt is frustrating me. Tried to track down info on WFW9xHEX whirlpool duets per scottthewolf, but can't find anything in our area under $1K or without steam, and no positive review data. Perhaps these models are too new to find much info.

I do want to thank everyone for their help. Have to make a decision ASAP, as the old Frigidaire is now so loud the Border Collies race to hide under the beds when it starts spinning 'cause they thinks it's a massive thunderstorm. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics