Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

wdunny

Kenmore elite washer #11024942300

14 posts in this topic

Great Master,

My Kenmore Elite washer, #11024942300, has now stopped dead. Over the weekend it was pouring water in continously during the spin cycle. The clothes were more wet than usual after the washer finished. Now it will not work at all, not fill, not anything. It quit right before the last spin cycle and is full of water. It will not do anything on any setting. Am I correct in thinking the timer is the problem?

Thanks,

wdunny

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Thanks for the suggestion. Would the lidswitch cause water to run throughout the spin cycle? It was doing that right before it decided to quit on me.

.. Now it will not work at all, not fill, not anything.

... not the Spin Cycle, either ?

Another thing to add is that it is causing the breaker to trip. If I unplug the washer the breaker is fine, and doesn't trip if I plug something else in. If I plug in the washer, the breaker trips.

Holding my breath, awaiting your masterful report on the lid switch. th_sniffingglue-706729.jpg

Another thing to add is that it is causing the breaker to trip. If I plug in the washer, the breaker trips.

Well that changes the landscape, why did you sit on that tidbit of information ?
Empty the washer by lowering drain hose - once empty set the washer again and see if it fills up and the trips the breaker once it tries to agitate

I have run into this several times where the motor wiring fails internally and grounds - if it does what I describe above, measure resistance of each motor terminal to the Motor frame - any continuity means the Motor is bad

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Motor/8541504/962140?modelNumber=110.24942300

00663034.jpg

Thanks. I didn't intentionally withhold that information. I came back and posted about the breaker as soon as I realized that was happening. I will have to figure a way to empty the washer without flooding the laundry and hallway.

I will be testing the lid switch as soon as I get home this afternoon. Had to get a multimeter first.

Before ya go too hawg wild on draining it, check that lid switch and peel the cabinet off so you can get some eyeballs on the pump as something could be caught in it and not allowing motor to start

see here: http://fixitnow.com/wp/2005/10/23/how-to-open-a-whirlpool-or-kenmore-direct-drive-washer-how-to-take-apart-washer-washing-machine-disassembly-washer-repair/

Well, lidswitch checked out good. Put it all back together and drained tub. It then did exactly as you described. It started to fill up to about half full then stopped and blew the breaker. I will have to check the motor continuity later tonight as I am about to go into my second job. Do I need to drain the tub again before doing this test? Thanks so much for the help thus far!

No - unplug washer, remove cabinet and motor wire harness - measure each pin/wire in the connector to the motor frame, if any of them show continuity you have a bad motor

And just to make sure everyone is clear here.

When you say it "blew the breaker", do you really mean the circuit breaker, (the one in the main circuit panel box)? Not a GFI wall plug with the test/reset button.