Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Loud banging noise / Washing Machine / Kenmore800 / Mod# 110.29822800

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RAston

RAston

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:21 PM

I have a Kenmore800 washing machine model# 110.29822800

For about 3-4 weeks the machine has been making a loud noise while completing spinning cycles (it seemed to work fine other than this noise). For every rotation of the tub, it makes a loud "BANG". I tried slowing/stopping the spinning tub by hand when it happened. The tub moves DOWN a little bit (quarter inch?) every rotation, which is when the bang occurs. The tub does not keep moving down with each rotation, it seems to circulate up a little, then drop down a bit at a certain point in each rotation of the tub.

Can you help me figure out what the problem is and how to fix it, please?

Also, during just the last 2-3 washloads, in addition to the described problem, there has been a some water remaining in the tub, maybe half an inch???

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

Missing a pair of sox ? Could be caught between inner and outer tub

Come and see here: http://fixitnow.com/...t-drive-washer/
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 RAston

RAston

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:25 PM

Thanks kdog, for the fast reply!

After my initial search, I thought that I may have to replace the drive block, but I wanted to wait for a reply before doing anything, since I'm such a newbie. After reading kdog's reply, I dis-assembled my machine, following a video I found on RepairClinic.com (Washing Machine Drive Block Replacement). Although there were some minor differences, I managed just fine. Unfortunately, I did not find a pair of sox, or anything else, between the tubs (I was hoping for an easy solution :yucky: ).

I did not remove the spanner nut, and I do not have a spanner nut wrench, but when I got to this point I pulled up on the tub and it came right out. Looking at the parts there at this point, it seems as though there is a part that has worn or broke down in some tiny pieces. I don't know which parts are which though, in order to better explain. I cleaned up the little pieces and temporarily replaced the tub and rotated it...it does the "bang" or "knocking" sound twice per rotation and I can see where these pieces are hitting. I don't know if I have a worn part that needs to be replaced or a part that has disintegrated(?) or what??? I will try to snap a pic and get it posted here in the morning, maybe that will help. I hope so.

Thanks for all your help guys!

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:59 PM

Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:49 AM

Read about a similar issue here: http://applianceguru...forum2/141.html

Likely the basket drive block has worn out, and the 2 notches you speak of on the top of the basket drive need to be intact to mount replacement

http://www.repaircli...er=110.29822800

00928582.jpg

http://www.repaircli...er=110.29822800

00633302.jpg

Let us know how you make out

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#6 RAston

RAston

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:36 AM

Thanks so much guys! :rocker:

kdog, per your last post...are you thinking I will need a new Basket Drive, in addition to the Drive Block?

RegUS_PatOff...Thanks for the diagram. It looks like the drive block stays attatched up in the cone of the inner tub until you remove the spanner nut (I have the inner tub removed but as I said, I have yet to remove the spanner nut. I assume it will just drop once I do get a spanner wrench and remove the nut???????)

I suppose I need this wrench before I can even be certain about needing a drive block. :huh:

(Will try to upload pics now)

#7 RAston

RAston

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:33 PM

Not sure this will work. Never did this before and I don't use/have an acct on picasa, flickr, etc. So here goes.......

http://www.facebook....db55901e&type=1

1) Inside the outer tub with inner tub removed. Tried to show the raised notch, light from flash is right on it.
2) Inside the outer tub with inner tub removed. Shows the two raised notches on either side.
3) Shows the removed inner tub - the spanner nut has yet to be removed.

#8 RAston

RAston

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:07 PM

I think I'm getting confused or something. I don't see any part that looks like that Basket Drive with the spring and stuff, etc. :huh: :unsure: :blush:

#9 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:12 PM

The basket drive extends from underneath and is driven by the transmission during spin, the drive block is secured to it via the 2 shoulders on the drive tube - these shoulders on your current drive tube look somewhat damaged, you may be able to gently pry them out a bit so that they will mate to a new drive block - but if not, you'll have to replace both the block and the basket drive. if you look at the parts links from above, the spanner wrench etc. is also mentioned within the link

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:41 PM

Drive Tube #1
Posted Image

#11 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:50 PM

similar model
Repair Part List - 8181301.pdf

#12 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:50 PM

Make sure you read through this: http://applianceguru...forum2/141.html
As Master Willie has cast forth many pearls of wisdom regarding this repair

#13 RAston

RAston

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:46 PM

I ordered a drive block and a spanner wrench today from RepairClinic.com. I paid $2 extra for slightly faster shipping, so they should arrive on Friday. (I'm hoping that I don't absolutely need the basket drive as I cannot afford the $125 for it at this time.)

I will post again then. Wish me luck! And thanks for all the great info and help. You two ROCK! :rocker: I really do appreciate it! (RegUS_PatOff...Thanks for changing that one diagram picture to an actual picture with labels, etc. That was a big help to me.)

Until Friday, Gentlemen.

#14 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:34 PM

... I'm hoping that I don't absolutely need the basket drive as I cannot afford the $125 for it at this time
... (RegUS_PatOff...Thanks for changing that one diagram picture to an actual picture with labels, etc.

1) Your Basket Drive is toast Tabs are gone
2) ... it was no trouble for me :whistling: Posted Image

#15 RAston

RAston

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

I re-positioned the tabs on the basket drive tube since they weren't gone, they were bent in toward the shaft (as suggested in the forum post link given from kdog above, and here...http://applianceguru...forum2/141.html).
I replaced the worn drive block with the new one and re-assembled the washing machine and everything is working fine now.

I figure, even if I really need to replace the basket drive in addition to the drive block, (hopefully) this will buy me some time. I now know how to do this and the extra cost would amount to the price of buying what would be the second drive block. If this works and holds up for say, about two years, then all is well, lol. This machine is only two years old and I was/am shocked that it only lasted this long before requiring repairs.

Thanks again for the great help, for the forums, for the RepairClinic.com site and the great detailed videos I found there. I know exactly where to go if there is a next time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics