Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Sub Zero 690/S Service Light Flashing

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 chuckactor

chuckactor

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Rolling Rock

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:45 PM

I have a:

Sub Zero 690/S
October 2002
S/N M1982383

About a week ago the "Service" light started flashing on my Sub Zero. No other error codes. No change in temperature and no signs of excessive compressor running etc.

I went ahead and cleaned and vaccumed out the condensor coils. It had been about a year. Overall they were pretty clean. The condensor fan was running when the compressor was on. I powered down the unit and the service light reset. I had my fingers crossed but about two days later the service light came back on.

I went and read through some of the old forum postings. Seems like the popular options are sealed system leak in the evaporator or a thermister issue.

I put the fridge in diagnostic mode and got the following temperature readings:

F -04
R 36
FE -11
RE 32

I was hoping to see an error on one of the readings...

The temp settings on the control panel are set at 36deg and 2deg

Does anyone have a copy of the service manual for this unit and some guidance on what to check next?

Thanks!
Chuck

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:11 PM

... Does anyone have a copy of the service manual for this unit

Become an Apprentice Appliantologist and Enjoy Special Perks

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 chuckactor

chuckactor

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:12 AM

I am now an Apprentice. Can anyone look at the temp numbers and bestow some wisdom?

Thanks!
Chuck

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,873 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:10 AM

Sub-Zero manual PMed. :thumbsup:

#5 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:30 AM

The best wisdom i have is to empty the fridge and remove the shelves and back wall, after the unit has been running for several hours.
is the coil completely and evenly frosted? or is the frost confined to the upper left hand corner or just the first couple of passes?
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#6 chuckactor

chuckactor

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:56 AM

I finally got around to opening up the fridge. The back panel was stuck so it took me a little while to get it off. When I did, I took this pic. There was condensed water frozen on the coil. You can see the drips.

Posted Image

I only managed to leave the fridge running for 30-40 minutes before I had to put it back together and head to work. Here is a picture of the coil after running for a bit. it looked like it was starting to frost up pretty evenly.

Posted Image

I did go ahead and plug and un-plug the molex connectors for the thermisters a few times to try to clean up the connections. I reset the fridge (power off/on) and loaded it back up.

Any comments?

Thanks!
Chuck

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,873 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:19 AM

Good pics! I see a nice, light layer of frost and what appears to be frozen water droplets on the coil tubes. Sealed system appears to be okay.

Is the evaporator fan running?

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

How's the Freezer Evaporator ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#9 chuckactor

chuckactor

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:47 AM

The fridge evaporator fan is running. Or more accurately, running when the compressor kicks on.

I haven't checked the freezer side. I guess the service light would trip for either side. Since both sides appear to be holding temp, I assumed the fridge side based on prior posts from people.

I bought the unit second hand. The prior owner mentioned that it had a compressor replaced early in its life. I think freezer side but I'm not sure. I do remember seeing high and low side taps on the lines but to be honest I'm not sure what side they were on or whether they were installed by the factory.

There is a different sticker placed on the factory label for the freezer side refrigerant amount. I think it said 9 ounces.

Should the next step be to check the frost pattern on the freezer side or hold tight? Should I view the 2 week temp history to see if there is some anomaly? Would one bad data point out of the 168? cause the error?

Thanks!
Chuck

#10 chuckactor

chuckactor

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:00 PM

I thought I was in the clear. 3-4 days and no service light. I came home from a trip this weekend and the light is flashing again. Since the fridge evaporator looked OK, where should I look next?

Thanks!
Chuck

#11 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:17 PM

Is the condenser fan running? Is the condenser clean and not full of dust?
Scott Wolf

#12 chuckactor

chuckactor

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:36 PM

Condenser fan is running. I cleaned the coils first thing. They were actually pretty clean to start with.

Chuck

#13 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:39 PM

What is the condition of both door gaskets? Do both doors seal good and tight without any gaps?
Scott Wolf

#14 chuckactor

chuckactor

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:00 PM

Both are good. Could it be in the freezer? Should I check the evaporator coil in the freezer or perhaps check the stored temperatures for the last couple of weeks?

Chuck

#15 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:04 PM

Yes, check the frost pattern of the freezer evaporator and check the temperatures in the freezer. Post a picture of the freezer evaporator if you can.
Scott Wolf

#16 chuckactor

chuckactor

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:36 PM

I finally gave up and called in the sub-zero service guys. The one thing they noticed was erratic temps in the fridge and freezer. They sealed up a hole in the top of the cabinet from where the original service guy replaced the fridge evaporator and never sealed it. They thought it might be an intermittent condenser fan but weren't sure. They told me they get $90 for the fan and $210 for install. I told them lets hold off and I'll watch it.

Well, I went online and got a new fan motor for $62. The new motor is alot stronger than the old one (noisier now..). It's been running good for 2 weeks now. Guess the old motor just was getting slower and not moving enough air across the coils.

Chuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics