Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

York H2RC048S06A Fan Issues

zold

The fan on the York H2RC048S06A outside my kitchen window started makes strange noises when it ran. I followed some troubleshooting advice and could feel the blades not turning well on the fan motor. I was able to oil the shaft up a bit and it ran like a champ for about another week, then started getting noisy again. I ordered a replacement fan motor, same model, so it was an easy swap. I went ahead and changed out the run capacitor and the relay right next to it, as the top of the run capacitor was starting to get a bit oily.

Now, with all the new parts in, when I turn the A/C on inside the house, the compressor outside will come on and get warm, but the fan doesn't move an inch. I can push the blades on the fan around with a screwdriver and it isn't any easier or harder to turn than usual. What are the next steps in getting this thing up and running again?

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• applianceman18007260692

• RegUS_PatOff

• zold

• ACtechGUY

soo.. the new Fan hasn't run, yet ?

Is it wired correctly ?

May need to do some voltage testing.

Was it a dual Capacitor replaced with a dual or individual ?

Does the Compressor operate from the same Relay ?

Most of the old fan motors come with 3 wires while the new motor comes with 4 wires. The intent being the fan cap is built into the dual cap on the original equipment. The new fan motor has to have its own capacitor usually because it is not rated the same micro farads as the original motor. So the new motor has 2 brown wires for the new cap. That now leaves you with 2 wires instead of 3. usually a white wire for common that connects to C on the old capacitor (or the common wire on the old motor which was purple or white).and a black wire that goes to the contactor where the old black wire was attached.

If you wished to connect the new motor like the old one and use just 3 wires instead of four that old capacitor would have to be compatible (same mfd rating). The new motor has 2 brown wires with spades to accommodate the capacitor. One of them wires has a white stripe on it and is also common. The white wire must be isolated and taped off to itself (on the new motor) and the brown wire with white stripe can then be connected to common. the plan brown wire to the dual cap marked F for fan, and the black wire or hot wire to the contactor.

If you could post some photos maybe we could see what you have and maybe save you from having to get somebody out.

Edited by applianceman18007260692

Thanks for the feedback and ideas. Sure enough, the fan is wired correctly, but the new capacitor seems to be the issue. I replaced a dual with a dual and ordered the new one by matching equivalent part numbers. But, when I took the new one out and put the old one back in, the unit fired up and has been running like a champ.

I moved the wires one at a time and matched the markings on the top of the can. Is it likely or common to get a bad capacitor? Are there some brands are are superior? In the picture, the one on the left is the new one that is quite suspect, the one on the right is the old one that is working.

Thanks!

0929111029.jpg

i don't see underwriters or canuck seal of approval on that one on the left. I would say it is very suspect

Edited by applianceman18007260692

click on picture

220px-UL_Recognized_Component_Mark.png

The Recognized Component Mark is a type of quality mark issued by Underwriters Laboratories.

It is borne on components which are intended to be part of a UL listed product,

but which cannot bear the full UL logo themselves.

The general public does not ordinarily come across it, as it is borne on components which make up finished products.

Come to think of it I used to carry Marrs caps at my appliance parts store and that symbol was on them. The Marrs line is the best. My opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

All modern Capacitors are subject to SUCK . You never know if you will get one that is dead from start or will die in 2 days,2 weeks or 2 months. I have had real bad luck will ALL brands regardless of UL markings.

One capacitor to avoid at all times is "MADE IN CHINA" capacitors . The failure rate of chinese capacitors is much higher than other countries of origin . :soapbox: