Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SewTara

Dishwasher GFSD551P00WW Thing in the middle still up when cycle is finished.

7 posts in this topic

So sorry for all the technical lingo but I haven't been able to find what the thing is called.

Here's the problem :

When our dishwasher is all done the cycle (sometimes we use dry sometimes we don't) and we open the door and go to roll the bottom rack out it stops because the big pole thing in the middle hasn't retracted and is still up through the middle of the dishwasher (at different heights)

It's ridiculously annoying because we forget and yank the rack out and are probably doing more damage to that piece. Also it's annoying if you remember because you have to reach into the dishwasher to push it down before sliding out the drawer.

We thought maybe it was clogged up with residue or something so I've run it empty after letting a bunch of vinegar soak in it for a few hours.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tara

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

GSFD551POOWW

can you check that model number again ?

Why yes I can, I switched 2 letters

It's GFSD551P00WW

Sorry about that, also I think it's numerals at the end '00' and not 'OO' I think.

Why yes I can, I switched 2 letters

It's GFSD551P00WW

... that's better, but I can't find much info on that Canadian model

maybe another user can ...

Well model aside, is there a cause for that thingie to be stuck up after the cycle in any dishwasher?

Or at least what's it called and I can ask Google, he knows everything. ;)

It's an extendable tower from the top of the lower spray arm that is supposed to collapse once the motor stops, it is likely plugged up with some crud or foreign objects. Running a Cycle with some cleaner may correct that for you, if not - replace the arm

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Lower-Wash-Arm/WD22X10054/1263995

01044334.jpg

Dishwasher Cleaner:

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Dishwasher-Cleaner/5304482929/1915432

01249713.jpg

Loading is important on any of the pop-up tower models. If you load dishes to close to the rack opening where the tower pops up then it can get hung up against said items when the water stops flowing thus not letting it drop back down.

Make sure the lower rack isn't put in backwards, (I don't think you really can do this and still close the door with the GE models but some dishwashers the lower rack will go in backwards and still be able to close the door).

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0