Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Lost with the new appliances? The Samurai teaches you Circuit Fu…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
7Katz

Kenmore Dehumidifier m/n 580.54501500 Motor and Noise

4 posts in this topic

Greeting Fellow Samurais:

This grasshopper has heard strange (loud) buzzing noises from the model listed above; in addition to the buzzing sounds, a hum was heard. In attempting to troubleshoot the unit, I turned on the power and noticed that the fan was turning backwards... At least it appeared to be; the vanes were not turning in a direction so as to "scoop" the air, but in the reverse. It would appear that the polarity is reversed somehow. What would cause this problem? Bad board? Shot sensor? A short circuit somewhere?

The motor itself spins freely; the bearings seem OK. Is there a test I can perform to determine the cause?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is a good machine and has worked quite well so far. I would really like to get it back up and running. BTW I have the service manual PDF. Thanks for that, also.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Has this Dehumidifier worked for you OK up till now ?

The Fan is AC, and wouldn't turn backwards unless someone replaced the wrong Motor or Fan Blade.

So .... what's "humming" and "buzzing" ?

The motor itself was humming; it seems like it struggles to get up to speed.. There was a buzzing sound coming from the cabinet; I figure it was a loose screw or tube hitting the outer metal. I will double-check all fasteners and loops.

This is the first time I have serviced the motor; even with AC power, is there anything that would cause the motor to run in such a way? To the best of my knowledge this is the original motor.

I have a motor from another unit. But the one in the Kenmore has five ports on the connector end, the extra motor I have has three. Would the board send a "funky" signal to the motor?

Should I just replace the motor? What electronic tests would help, if any?

Kenmore 580.54501500 made by LG

other Motors may work, if they are 120v AC

2 speed LG Fan Motor

click on picture

00697565.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0