Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore Dehumidifier m/n 580.54501500 Motor and Noise

7Katz

Greeting Fellow Samurais:

This grasshopper has heard strange (loud) buzzing noises from the model listed above; in addition to the buzzing sounds, a hum was heard. In attempting to troubleshoot the unit, I turned on the power and noticed that the fan was turning backwards... At least it appeared to be; the vanes were not turning in a direction so as to "scoop" the air, but in the reverse. It would appear that the polarity is reversed somehow. What would cause this problem? Bad board? Shot sensor? A short circuit somewhere?

The motor itself spins freely; the bearings seem OK. Is there a test I can perform to determine the cause?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is a good machine and has worked quite well so far. I would really like to get it back up and running. BTW I have the service manual PDF. Thanks for that, also.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RegUS_PatOff

• 7Katz

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Has this Dehumidifier worked for you OK up till now ?

The Fan is AC, and wouldn't turn backwards unless someone replaced the wrong Motor or Fan Blade.

So .... what's "humming" and "buzzing" ?

The motor itself was humming; it seems like it struggles to get up to speed.. There was a buzzing sound coming from the cabinet; I figure it was a loose screw or tube hitting the outer metal. I will double-check all fasteners and loops.

This is the first time I have serviced the motor; even with AC power, is there anything that would cause the motor to run in such a way? To the best of my knowledge this is the original motor.

I have a motor from another unit. But the one in the Kenmore has five ports on the connector end, the extra motor I have has three. Would the board send a "funky" signal to the motor?

Should I just replace the motor? What electronic tests would help, if any?

Kenmore 580.54501500 made by LG

other Motors may work, if they are 120v AC

2 speed LG Fan Motor

click on picture

00697565.jpg