Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Leaking Main Tub Seal - Maytag Neptune MAH5500BWW Washer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lmcs@sbcglobal.net

lmcs@sbcglobal.net

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:38 AM

Hello,

I have a leaking main tub seal if I understand the below correctly. Is there a place I can get instructions on how to replace the seal ? I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I can see the main hub is bolted on but isn't sure what I'll find if i try to unbolt it. Does the bolt thread into a threaded hole or is there a nut on the "other side" which is why the website recommends calling a repair technician ?

To clarify, where it is leaking is as follows. The motor in the back lower left corner is connected via a drive belt to a large hub. This hub appears to be bolted into the outer tub. It is where this hub/shaft goes into the outer tub where it is leaking. I can see that as the water drips the large pulley sprays it in a nice pattern on either side, top and bottom of the washer. The water appears to have rust in it. And we've also noticed that during the spin cycle, the wash machine is much, much louder than it used to be.

thanks in advance for any assistance.

regards, Steve

From the help section of Repairclinic.com
Main tub seal - The main tub seal is located between the transmission and the outer tub. It's the primary water seal in the outer tub for the transmission-shaft entry point. If this seal leaks, you can see the leak by opening up the machine's main access panel while the machine is full of water with a small amount of detergent in it. The leak appears at the underside of the outer tub, at or near the center. This seal is difficult to replace. You probably should call a qualified appliance repair technician.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

What you will probably need to do is replace the bearings also, they come in a kit with the outer tub for your model, I dont have a service manual, but I'm sure our host or reg can get you the link, so that you will understand what is involved in replacing the outer tub, main seal and bearings. http://www.repaircli...mber=MAH5500BWW is the link to the par you will need. you may also need http://www.repaircli...mber=MAH5500BWW depending on weither you can get it out of the tub or not.

Edited by Comstock_Services, 02 October 2011 - 12:06 PM.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics