Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Check out our online tech training courses at Master Samurai Tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lmcs@sbcglobal.net

Leaking Main Tub Seal - Maytag Neptune MAH5500BWW Washer

2 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a leaking main tub seal if I understand the below correctly. Is there a place I can get instructions on how to replace the seal ? I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I can see the main hub is bolted on but isn't sure what I'll find if i try to unbolt it. Does the bolt thread into a threaded hole or is there a nut on the "other side" which is why the website recommends calling a repair technician ?

To clarify, where it is leaking is as follows. The motor in the back lower left corner is connected via a drive belt to a large hub. This hub appears to be bolted into the outer tub. It is where this hub/shaft goes into the outer tub where it is leaking. I can see that as the water drips the large pulley sprays it in a nice pattern on either side, top and bottom of the washer. The water appears to have rust in it. And we've also noticed that during the spin cycle, the wash machine is much, much louder than it used to be.

thanks in advance for any assistance.

regards, Steve

From the help section of Repairclinic.com

Main tub seal - The main tub seal is located between the transmission and the outer tub. It's the primary water seal in the outer tub for the transmission-shaft entry point. If this seal leaks, you can see the leak by opening up the machine's main access panel while the machine is full of water with a small amount of detergent in it. The leak appears at the underside of the outer tub, at or near the center. This seal is difficult to replace. You probably should call a qualified appliance repair technician.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

What you will probably need to do is replace the bearings also, they come in a kit with the outer tub for your model, I dont have a service manual, but I'm sure our host or reg can get you the link, so that you will understand what is involved in replacing the outer tub, main seal and bearings. http://www.repaircli...mber=MAH5500BWW is the link to the par you will need. you may also need http://www.repaircli...mber=MAH5500BWW depending on weither you can get it out of the tub or not.

Edited by Comstock_Services

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0