Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Thermostat Installation Westinghouse (Nordyne) FT5BD-030K

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DuBose Griffin

DuBose Griffin

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:54 PM

Greetings,

We currently had a Honeywell Digital TH5220D1003 (non programmable) thermostat (link here: Product) on our downstairs Westinghouse (Nordyne) FT5BD-030K HVAC (link here: WESTINGHOUSE FT5BD-030K Heat Pumps). There is a separate unit for the upstairs. It was working fine. Then we wanted to install a new honeywell digital thermostat (model RTHL2310) that was programmable (link to product here: RTHL2310B | 5-2-Day Programmable Thermostat).

I removed the wires and labeled them. They are either:

Conventional (which I assumed to the correct one)
R (red wire), Y (yellow wire), C (blue wire), W (red wire), G (green wire), W2 (white wire)

OR

Heat Pump
R (red wire), Y (yellow wire), C (blue wire), O/B (red wire), G (green wire), Aux (white wire)

Next I connected the new thermostat as follows matching the conventional labels above:
R (red wire), W (red wire), Y (yellow wire), G (green wire). I did nothing with C (blue wire) or W2 (white wire).

The result was that the unit just blew warm air. I then hooked the old thermostat back up and still no cooling.

So I believe the Westinghouse is not working period and I do not have the wiring correct.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
DuBose Griffin

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger ale

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:49 AM

Odd T-wire you've got there. With two reds it would be easy enough to get them turned around. Verify color codes at the the compressor (or air handler) terminal strip. Verify which Red is hot at the thermostat with a multimeter. You're looking for 24VAC to Common.

Edited by jb8103, 04 October 2011 - 05:00 AM.

First, do no harm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics