Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung dmr78ahs dishwasher grinding noise and error code 9e

dmr78ahs grinding noise and

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jkilgore34

jkilgore34

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:02 PM

dmr78ahs I'm wokring on this dishwasher. There is a grinding noise when first started up and after a minute or two I get 9e error code. I believe that means low water level. I took out and took apart the water level assembly and I didn't see any obstructions. the micro switch tested good. I took off the flow meter as well and took it apart and It looked good as well. I have been told those flow meters can go bad. Is there a way to test a flow meter? Where could the grinding noise be coming from? Drain pump maybe?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:07 PM

<<<There is a grinding noise when first started up>>>

Many Samsung DMR57 & DMR78 dishwashers are known for developing a rattling/grinding noise during DRAIN MODE.

This is usually caused by a broken plastic mounting tab from the upper rack ADJUSTERS.

Each side of the upper rack has a tan/gray square RACK ADJUSTER---after a mounting tab (or 2) breaks off---this piece of plastic eventually ends up in the DRAIN PUMP HOUSING.

The DRAIN MOTOR should be removed to inspect for debris.

<<<after a minute or two I get 9e error code>>>

A normal amount of water in a DMR78 dishwasher would be---at about 1 inch past the HEATER SHIELD in the tub.

If you've tested the SWITCHES on the LOW LEVEL SENSOR---then they're not at fault.

Press the following buttons at the *same* time:

DELAY START--NORMAL--POWER(button)

The word "ALL" appears for 3 seconds followed by "t1"

(NOTE: Test #1 checks the functions of the INLET VALVE--FLOW METER--LOW LEVEL SENSOR)

Press the DELAY START button---the DRAIN MOTOR will run for 45 seconds. Then---water will enter the tub.

When the PULSE COUNT (on the display) reaches "660" or greater---press the NORMAL button four times.

A flashing "t5" will be displayed & water will drain for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds---the "t5" will stop flashing.

Press the NORMAL button again---"t6" will be displayed. The word "OFF" should appear in the control panel display---indicating that the LOW LEVEL SENSOR SWITCH is in the correct position for *No Water* in tub.

If the INLET VALVE--LOW LEVEL SENSOR--FLOW METER function normally----replace the MAIN BOARD.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#3 jkilgore34

jkilgore34

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:55 PM

I cleaned some gunk out of the water level sensor and found a piece of plastic in the drain pump housing just like you said. Thanks for the help.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

How to fix a Samsung DMR57 or DMR78 dishwasher making a grinding noise and error code 9E

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 05 October 2011 - 07:55 AM

Sublime Master john63 reveals the kata for this encounter:

<<<There is a grinding noise when first started up>>>

Many Samsung DMR57 & DMR78 dishwashers are known for developing a rattling/grinding noise during DRAIN MODE.

This is...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics