Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GSD1200G06 doesn't drain

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Danglerb

Danglerb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Castleton Estate Darjeeling

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:08 PM

My GE Potscrubber 1200, GSD1200G06 failed to drain, sloshed out some suds after the wash cycle started.

I've read the faq's, looked at diagrams, and first suspect is the drain solenoid, but its way in the back on the bottom. My air gap is a PITA to get to behind the disposer at the top of the sink, and the GE is maybe 25 years old, so two questions;

Is it too old to bother fixing? Otherwise seems to be working fine, groans a bit during a wash cycle, so I might want to fix that too if it comes out.

The cycle dial isn't stopping to wait for draining, not in a normal cycle or reset clear, and I "think" it used to. Do I perhaps have a float issue?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:36 AM

Those motors just run the whole time and solenoid is energized at drain increments and drain flap stays open until no water remains and it "falls" shut - at first glance it sounds as if your machine has a drain hose blockage - there is also a drain check valve involved that could be to blame.

http://www.repaircli...mber=GSD1200G06

00858827.jpg
http://www.repaircli...mber=GSD1200G06

01185411.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:33 AM

Some more GE drainology problem solvers here:

GE Dishwasher Drainology

GE Triton XL Dishwasher Will Not Drain

#4 Danglerb

Danglerb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:07 PM

Thanks, was hoping to avoid the pull out, and if pulled out having the parts ready, but pull out and check seems like the next step.

Local scratch and dent has some new Kenmore 1392 dishwashers for $300, which makes going to a new stainless tub appealing.

I'll pull out the GE in the next day or so, and report back with what I find.

Thanks

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

No pullout needed to replace the piston check valve. You do from inside the sump inside the dishwasher basin.

#6 Danglerb

Danglerb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:56 AM

So far everything looks ok, no special debris, flaps and seals look ok.

Hard part was getting the end tabs out of the top rack slide so the top rack could be removed and I could stick my head in and look around.

I removed the four screws that hold the self cleaning filter in place, lifted out the filter, and unscrewed the piston check valve and removed it. Filter had a minor amount of grunge on the lower part of one side, which I cleaned off and rinsed. Piston check valve had a tiny bit of metal on the threads, but all soft parts seemed intact and fine. Nothing in the chamber below it, so I put it all back.

I removed the drain cover and grid below it. Drain cover had some soap/slime areas in the corners. Nothing I could see wrong or in the area below it. Grate of smaller round holes with a bit of wire spring that rotated in front of it is I am guess the soft food disposer. There was a small round white plastic plug, looked like a plug, in the bottom of the little reservoir, again I noticed nothing special. I left the drain cover and grate off for now.

Time to pull the unit out and check the drain solenoid?

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:13 AM

Time to pull the unit out and check the drain solenoid?

Can do that by just removing the kickplates. You can watch it in action. Piston should pull down during drain and then raise up at the end of drain.

#8 longtimer

longtimer

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:03 AM

This dishwasher is so old, I remember that model. The drain plunger can be manually pulled down anytime the motor is running.

Should hear a pretty good thud if there is pump pressure.

The collection box under the plunger is where most debris collected.

#9 Danglerb

Danglerb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:33 PM

I recall it having a distinct sound as the drain cycle started, but I wasn't 100% sure not hearing anything special was sufficient to assume the drain valve wasn't working.

Kick plate will be off soon and I will see what I can see, hear what I can hear, and maybe reach back with a grabber thing and manually actuate.

Old stuff that works isn't easy to get rid of, and I am starting to think I know how this one works and how to fix it.

#10 Danglerb

Danglerb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:05 AM

Good news;
I put everything back together fine, figured out the kick plate came off with a pair of PH1 screws on the front panel recessed above and below the decorative part.

Better news,
Pictures I have been looking at I thought showed the drain solenoid at the back, and mine at least is rotated 90 degrees, with the solenoid easily accessible to the left of the motor in the front.

Bad news,
Solenoid was frozen in the up position, won't move a bit, and the worse bad news is the cause appears to be a slight drip from the drain valve as the small frame the solenoid attaches to is very corroded. Following the links earlier in the thread to see what might need replacing along with the solenoid. Manually operating the drain valve works fine except for the drip.

#11 Danglerb

Danglerb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:35 AM

Hmmm, not too bad, looks like solenoid kit, drain valve seal, and clip. Whats the little hinged flap do in the solenoid kit? http://www.repaircli...t/WD21X802/2333

Really glad I'm not pulling this dishwasher out, water line is copper, course I would be replacing that if disconnected, but starting to push half the cost of a new dishwasher with new lines etc.

#12 Danglerb

Danglerb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:41 PM

I ordered all the parts just now from repairclinic. Hate to wait, but nobody local stocked all three items, and maybe my back will recover from working on the floor by the time the parts arrive.

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:22 PM

Keep us posted!

#14 Danglerb

Danglerb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:47 AM

I didn't think any form of shipping could be so slow, FedEx is apparently 9 days to Calif.

Any trick to removing the press on clip for the drain valve seal? I ordered a new one assuming it can't be reused.

Posted Image

#15 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:54 AM

... FedEx is apparently 9 days to Calif.

... what zip code is that ?
... and what part number are you ordering ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#16 Danglerb

Danglerb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

... what zip code is that ?
... and what part number are you ordering ?

Zip is 92869, FedEx is giving the package the free tour of the USA. Priority mail flat rate is so nice. Two weeks ago I bought an item 30 miles away and FedEx took 5 days.

Drain solenoid kit, WD21X802, and the seal and clip that link from it.
http://www.repaircli...t/WD21X802/2333

#17 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:23 PM

looks like postal is 8 days
FedEx ground is 4 days

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#18 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:14 AM

Be careful trying to remove that clip, you DON'T want to just try to pry if off. If you do you could very easily pull the drain shaft out of the drain flap that is inside the pump body. It will be impossible to get it back in without remove the complete pump/motor assembly.

I use a small flat blade screwdriver and jam it into each of the three little slots and pry the edges of the inner clip area up so as to make the center hole larger so it will slip right off the shaft without pulling the shaft out of the pump body.

I've had really good results doing it that way and most of the time I'm also able to reuse the old clip by just smashing the center tabs back down a little so it will slide back on the shaft with a little pressure and clip back in the grove just in front of the seal.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#19 Danglerb

Danglerb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:15 AM

Thanks, that is what I will try to do, except I ordered a new clip, so will likely use it.

For so long all of Amazon.com was overnight or 2nd day, USPS priority mail, like the $5 flat rate box all this would have fit in is 2 to 3 day, My mistake was assuming the USPS would be priority mail or parcel post, not this super slow hybrid. Not too likely I will make that mistake again.

FEDEX SMARTPOST CHINO, CA
Shipment Dates
Ship date Posted Image Oct 13, 2011
Estimated delivery Posted Image Oct 21, 2011

#20 Danglerb

Danglerb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:21 AM

Parts actually arrived a day before predicted, and I didn't have time to work on it more until tonight.

Push on clip was a BEAR. Unlike the replacement the original had 8 tabs with no gap between them, no way to bend them individually. I worked at it about twenty minutes with picks of various shapes, but no go, so I as carefully as possible pried up one edge at a time until it came off. Seal came out without much trouble, but took me some time to get the new one back on and in the groove.

Dried everything off and left it at that stage to check in the morning with better light etc that the seal is on properly.

Main bracket the solenoid bolts to and a couple of the screws related to it were very corroded, so I will replace screws and clean up the bracket prior to buttoning it up anyway.

Old eyes and batteries starting to go from all the time picking didn't help. Combined with the tight quarters and wetness it was very hard for me to focus on and see the details of the clip, or be sure all of the seal was removed. So far very educational, hoping it has a nice kick of satisfaction from doing it myself tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics