Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE model number WHRE5550K1WW top loader, no agitation, no spin

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 CJrun

CJrun

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Redhook ESB

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:56 AM

The belt appears fine and everything moves smoothly.

The lid switch has continuity when the lid is closed.

The thermal fuse has continuity across it.

The LED flashes @ 1s on/1s off when in standby, BUT ALSO when start a wash or spin cycle (instead of flashing 0.5s on/ 0.5s off when 'running').

I DO NOT seem to be getting 120 V between the Red/White and the Red/Black. My meter appeared to jump up to around 120 V when I first started a cycle, but I could not get 120 again, during that same cycle.

I'm stumped!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 matt1

matt1

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:17 PM

I don't have exact wiring diagram for you model,but with a similar one.If you don't have 120 v at RB and WR at motor connector,then you fuse link is opened. I hope we are talking the same fuse here. Fuse link is located near lid switch, that was wrapped around in black tape with other wires (hidden).

#3 CJrun

CJrun

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:13 PM

I definitely have continuity across the Thermal Fuse link (the one you described).

By the way, just curious: would the LED even have power if the fuse link lacked continuity?

Thanks!

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:28 PM

... would the LED even have power if the fuse link lacked continuity?

... no

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 CJrun

CJrun

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

That's my thinking.

Which makes me think my issue is either a dead motor and an inaccurate attempt on my part to read voltage at the motor, or an issue in the control panel, up top. I really think I got a solid connection into the Red/White Red/Black wires, where they enter the circuit board on the motor. I know I saw it briefly jump to @ 126 V, then drop to near zero, when I started a wash cycle. No matter how I jiggled and adjusted my probes, I could never get voltage across those two wires again, during the run cycle.

It seems to me that could be two things: a fault up in the Control Panel, or a bad motor and the Control Panel is almost instantly cutting off the power signal to the motor, because of some other safety device, besides the Thermal Fuse, up in/near the Control Panel.

I supppose I could test this by running 120 V directly to the motor at the Red/White and Red/Black terminals, but I really don't want to try that.

Electricity doesn't scare me, but I really am a Grasshopper and am concerned I could fry something if I try something that drastic.

This machine is practically new, only two years old. We could pay a pro and eat more beans, for awhile, but times are a bit rough, right now.

I would be happy to make a contribution to the Beer Fund if you folks could keep me from having to pay some local guy to replace everything, until he figures this out. I don't mind paying a pro, if I need one, but it seems to me we are still in diagnosis mode, here. Money is so tight, here, that I can't afford to pay somebody else to say, "Well, Dayum".

I think I have read all of your relevant forums; I think my problem is something different, or it's just a dead motor on a 2-year old machine.

Help! Gotta go feed Boyz, now.

(Thanks)

#6 matt1

matt1

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:54 PM

Hi CJrun, Can you disconnect C2 and take the voltage measurement at RB and WR it has to be around 120v if wiring is correct.Now connect C2 back,put it to spin and take voltage at filter.if less than 107v then it 's not going to work,problem may be at your outlet.There are many possibilities we have to eliminate one at the times.

- RB and WR disconnected at motor will always around 120 v(assume the fuse is good) .Control board on top will not affect this at all.
- Try reset by unplug the unit for 30 second,plug it back and open and close lid 5 or more times in 12 second period.

-I am just try to help,but if my suggestion is out of place,then I am sorry,

Edited by matt1, 11 October 2011 - 05:35 PM.

#7 CJrun

CJrun

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:06 AM

OK, I have no schematic, but have disconnected a connector:
http://s152.photobuc...t=Connector.jpg

I guess that is C2. In spin mode, I got a steady 118.6 V across RW (center-left wire) and RB (center right).

How do I check the voltage at the filter? Is that anywhere in view in this image?
http://s152.photobuc...=BigPicture.jpg

I'm also interested in the outlet issue. Now and then, over 2 years, the breaker has tripped. For that reason, I have a new breaker sitting here to install, once I shut off the main power. Could that iffy breaker be the issue, even though the pump and LED are getting voltage?

Domo arigato, again

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

may be similar
Posted Image

#9 CJrun

CJrun

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

OK, here's what I get:
Posted Image
in case that doesn't work, here's the URL:
http://s152.photobuc...TestResults.jpg
(not sure how your image codes work, around here. is it ahref, IMG?)

I'm not sure I tested the C2 pins properly. Do I wait until it completely fills then starts (not) Agitating?

Ikkō-ikki mentioned testing RB/RW at the filter which appears, from Sensei's schematic, to be up beyond the Lid Switch. I'm not sure where to find that; is it up in the top Control area?

Thanks for any help, folks!

#10 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:17 PM

Yes the filter is in the control panel. the power cord attaches to it.

Keep the connectors attached to the motor.

At C2 across pins 3 & 5 you should have 120VAC at anytime the machine is plugged into the wall.
If not then you have a bad outlet, cord, or wire.

You should also have 120V at C2 accross pins 3 & 6 anytime the machine is plugged in
and the "lid is closed" if the lid is closed and you dont have 120V at 3 & 6 then your lid
switch is bad.

If both those tests pass and you have 120V
on both sets of wires turn the machine to the spin cycle
and turn it on.

do the previous tests again "with the lid down"
if 120V dissappears when turning the machine on
in the spin cycle then the control board is bad.

If the voltage stays constant but the machine does
not spin them you have a bad motor.
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#11 CJrun

CJrun

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:48 PM

I have 120 VAV in both tests, so it does not appear to be the Control Board.

I have constant voltage in the spin cycle.

What I never have is any DCV signal in the C7 pins. Is that the Motor, or does a new Motor automatically mean a new Inverter? Is a new Inverter a separate purchase, or do they come togehter? I feel like the motor must be a DC motor and it just isn't ever seeing the DC signal it needs.

#12 matt1

matt1

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:53 PM

Look at all the voltage result, it looks like all wire harness,lid switch,and main control okay. Except at C7, can you removed C7 and take resistance (mode shifter) .
It should register at around 67 ohms,old model 97 ohms.

-If it's opened then mode shifter is bad ,but unit will work only noisy.
-If it's shorted then mode shifter is bad, and your motor (inverter board ) is also damaged.

- Filter is at the control board, under load if voltage drop under 107 v then it will not work. Look like not in this case.

- Did you get a chance to reset inverter board as I mention on earlier post?

- Inverter board and motor is one unit,you can't purchased it separately.

Edited by matt1, 11 October 2011 - 06:59 PM.

#13 CJrun

CJrun

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:59 PM

Oh! And if the Motor and Inverter come as a single part, I see I can order parts through you, but how long would it take (on average), to receive the part?

My better half is following different types of forums where guys are coming and poking around these machines, then taking forever to get the parts. Her perspective is the laundry that is piling up, of course. She doesn't care whether it is the motor or the inverter (I do).

If the Inverter/Motor are a single part, would it be possible for me to get this in 2 or 3 days? If so, I'll just order it tonight and not worry about which is the culprit.

Thanks again!

#14 matt1

matt1

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:08 PM

Hi CJrun, This is my hobby I love to help if I could. I don't sell anything. Grand Masters will help and answer those question.

#15 CJrun

CJrun

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:17 PM

Ikkō-ikki
I get 66.9 ohms across the C7
I reset the Inverter Board several times, plus checked the outlet and replaced the Breaker (that had tripped off a few times, since we installed the washer)
What's the consensus of the Dojo? Order the new Motor/Inverter?
Sleep on the couch?
Thanks!

#16 matt1

matt1

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:23 PM

I am afraid you will need motor/inverter .

#17 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

Hello, my consensual friend. Here is the motor/inverter you will need to repair your Great Satan washing machine:

http://www.repaircli...0X10076/1796660

Allahu Akbar!

#18 CJrun

CJrun

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:51 AM

Thank you, Folks. It looks like the item is out of stock, with a 1 to 2 week waiting period.

I guess it's off to the laundromat for us!

#19 CJrun

CJrun

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

Crapitty Crap!

I couldn't wait 2 weeks for the motor and shopped around locally, finding one in a Mom and Pop place near me. So far so good.

I got the new one installed (what insane person designed that mounting and belt installation!!!!!!) and started a small load and it filled, leveled, agitated, just fine. I put everything back together and started a bigger load and HOLY CRAP what an awful racket! The whole basket/motor assembly is just a-scraping and a dragging along the bottom of the housing. Are you KIDDING me?!

Grumble, grumble. I guess I need 4 new shocks, huh?

#20 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

has this Washer worked OK for you up till now at this location ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics