Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Oven won't ignite

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Torre

Torre

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:41 PM

Sparky thingie won't spark.  Still makes the clicking noise.  Gas is flowing (from the oven)...and all the top burners are working (they use the same sparky thingies).

Previous to the lack of spark, when I'd be baking something....it would stop burning in the middle of the cooking time.  I'd have to keep an eye on it...and restart the flame if it failed.  And it would always restart....but now....nothing.

Help me, oh fermented one.  You're my only hope.

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Torre

Torre

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:46 PM

I put the model number in my description....but I don't see it in my post...so here it is again.

Avanti gas range w/ electronic (spark) ignition.

model # DG20CSS-1

#3 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 05:46 AM

I have had no luck pulling up your schematic on line so it is a little tough going by the picture. It appears you have a standard spark igniter in the front and a thermocouple sensor in the rear of the photo. On this style unit, when you turn on the tstat, it sends a small amount of gas to the burner and the igniter is supposed to light the burner, the flame will stay small until it heats up the thermocouple enough to open the valve. Now am I correct in you stating when you try to light it you can hear the igniter trying to spark but no spark is present? Or when you turn on the oven the top burners are sparking and the oven one isn't? Most of these units spark the burners and the oven all when any knob is turned. If when you turn the knob on for the oven your tops spark, that would mean your switch is good and we would need to concentrate on the igniter itself or the module. Please provide a schematic if possible. Your unit might use a separate module for the oven, once I see a schematic we should be able to figure it out real easy. Avanti's are not that common, but all the ignition systems are basically the same.
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 November 2005 - 04:44 PM

Torre, some additional background information on gas stove ignition systems might help.

#5 Torre

Torre

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 10:28 AM

I found my manual didn't have any schematic either.  But, when I was looking for the model number, I found a big silver sticker on the back that looks like it might be it.  I'll try to get a picture of it when my son comes home to help me pull it out.

Since I read your last post, I've determined that the four burners all work and spark fine.  The Broiler, which I never use, also sparks and works fine.  We'll have to see how they relate on the schematic.  I'll be getting to that this afternoon with the son comes home. 

#6 Torre

Torre

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 10:30 AM

OH, and I forgot to say....the oven sparker still makes the click....but, no spark.

#7 yambag

yambag

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 11:36 AM

I do repair work for Avanti all the time and for the spark in the oven is most of the time is that the oven spark wire gets pinched.Take out the screw for the spark wire and tug lightly.That should free it up.As for the flame going out,I would take the control panel off,Be carefull pulling off the knobs cause there are little metal slides inside the knob that can fall out easy.Next turn on the oven and bring the temp to 400.Lower the flame to 265.On the thermostat, there is a little adjustment screw that would allow you to adjust the flame when the oven reaches temp.Adj the flame when its low allowing it still to hit the fame sensor.Thats should take care of all of your problems.If you need to order Avanti parts the Phone # is  1800-323-5029. As for the spark module,it has a L,N,and 6 spark ports.4 top burner and 1 for the bake and 1 for the broil.

#8 Torre

Torre

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 05:39 PM

Well....I've got the schematic, for what it's worth.  Had to draw it, sticker too shiney to photograph.

Thanks for the reply Yambag, I'll try your recommendations tomorrow....hope its as easy as it sounds.

Otherwise.....we're gonna be missin' some bodacious pumpkin pie. ;)

Attached Files

#9 yambag

yambag

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 10:59 AM

If you are still having problems you can e mail me at danbbrown2002@yahoo.com.I will give you my # so you can call me.

#10 yambag

yambag

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:42 PM

Im just wondering if you had any luck with your oven.

#11 Torre

Torre

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 11:30 AM

I tried losening the screw on the sparker....and I gave it a little tug...put it all back together...plugged it in, and still no spark.  I open for suggestions...

#12 Torre

Torre

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 11:38 AM

Since there's still no spark....and there's still a clicking, it would seem that it's getting juice, could it be as simple as the sparker needs to be replaced? (I realize I know nothing about this, just my speculation).  What's your opinion?

#13 Torre

Torre

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 11:49 AM

In the meantime, I'm thinking as TG approaches....is it considered safe to manually light the oven and use it normally?  I'd have to do it in a power-out as the manual suggests.  I'll a little bewildered by gas appliances, I like to make sure I'm not going to do something stupid, like blowing the place up.

#14 Torre

Torre

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 11:51 AM

Sorry, meant to say..."I'm just a little bewildered" must be time for my nap...;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics