Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

lucid

Icemaker for GE refridge model #TBX21CIBLRWW not working

21 posts in this topic

Hello,

My icemaker stopped making ice. I bought and installed a replacement water-inlet valve for it, but it only made one batch of ice with it before it stopped working again. The fridge also collects water under the crispers, but I think that is unrelated to the ice maker not working. Here is the water inlet valve I bought and installed for it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

is there Ice IN the IceMaker now ?

No. There is no ice in the ice maker. Also, there is no water in it.

may be a bad IceMaker or a frozen Water Line ...

I don't think the water line is frozen because I don't feel a block of ice inside it when I feel around it. Is there a definitive way to tell if the ice maker is bad?

1192074802_yLdoj-M.png

Thanks, but I think my ice maker is too old for that test because it doesn't have a green indicator. Do you have any other tests I can try?

can you post (somewhere) a picture of your IceMaker ?

Another antique from the 80's

If the water valve is good and no obstrution in the fill lines

Then replace the head

Part link ==> Ice Maker Assembly

Pull that white plastic cover off the front and post another photo of the module head underneath.

Was the picture clear enough to make use of?

Yes. I see the problem. If you look at the little driver gear, you'll see it has some teeth knocked out. this prevents the harvest cycle from progressing. Looks like new ice maker time ==> http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Ice-Maker-Assembly/WR30X10093/1399596?modelNumber=TBX21CIBLRWW

... If you look at the little driver gear, you'll see it has some teeth knocked out.

... I missed that one :blink:

They sell Drive gears here. Do you think I need a whole new ice maker, or can I get by with the drive gear?

Good find! I honestly didn't even know they had that part. That should fix you up assuming the rest of the icemaker works. Unscrew the larger gear, too, and make sure its hub is still intact.

I took off the larger gear. Here is a pic. I don't know what to look for. Also, when I put the larger gear back on the ice maker's fins started rotating, and I don't remember what position they should be in. Will they correct themselves to the right spot.

The smaller gear rotated when I took the larger one off, and I couldn't unscrew it rotating it counter-clockwise.

The smaller screw looks like a flat-head but I can't unscrew it. Maybe I'm not being manly enough with it. The gears in the machine start to rotate when I try to unscrew it.

That's going to be the main problem, trying to keep the motor from turning when trying to unscrew the screw. The gear is already damaged so hold the gear with channel lock pliers to try and hold it steady when unscrewing the screw.

Also, take a close look at the large gear also, in your first picture it appears the teeth may be damaged at the spot where the broken gear tried to mess with the larger gear.

You don't have to worry about the timing, the large gear is keyed to the ice rake and can only be put on one way. It doesn't matter where the rake is pointed when you put it back together, it will just be in the middle of a cycle and will start and run thru the reminder of the cycle when you plug it back in.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair