Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Stray voltage at outlet

jb8103

Why would I see 8 VAC from L1 to neutral when the circuit breaker is off?

Background: this is a kitchen counter outlet. It fails intermittently. We found if we just jiggled the coffemaker plug a bit it usually came back on. Not acceptable, of course, so in a matter of just a few months I dug into it. I found corrosion damage and a fried L1 terminal on the receptacle. It was also showing 120 VAC from L1 to ground, but not necessarily to neutral. This one outlet seems to be feeding two others, also at the kitchen counter.

With the breaker off, we get a reliable 8 VAC from L1 to neutral and ground. As a non-electrician I consider this to be utterly impossible.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jb8103

• RegUS_PatOff

• certified tech group 51

sometimes, when two separate circuits are traveling through one junction box, such as some ceiling light fixtures,

or multi-gang Wall Switch boxes,

moisture / corrosion can cause leakage from one circuit to the other.

If you're measuring that voltage with "no load", it may be harmless "stray voltage", depending on the actual current available.

Induction? Wouldn't be at this outlet, I don't think, but there is a junction box in the basement directly below...

.....How many outlets on this circuit....... where is the failed outlet located to the other outlets, up-stream / downstream???? From the breaker panel to the first outlet, how many junction boxes are there ??? At the breaker do the same voltage test, Induced voltage is not rare... Two cables getting intertwined........ E.M.F. is measurable...... ( Think transformers ) ..

I can't tell without tearing the place apart. Besides we're moving. If stray voltage at this level is not a safety issue, the buyer will be informed and it's their decision. I replaced the outlet and we are back to normal output.

... If you're measuring that voltage with "no load", it may be harmless "stray voltage", depending on the actual current available.

I've seen such conditions in older houses with "cloth covered" wires.

NM (non-metallic) cable, often called by the trade name "Romex," a plastic covered-cable for use in dry locations

(older NM cable may be cloth covered).

How old is your house ?

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen such conditions in older houses with "cloth covered" wires.

NM (non-metallic) cable, often called by the trade name "Romex," a plastic covered-cable for use in dry locations

(older NM cable may be cloth covered).

How old is your house ?

Built in 1880. Now that I have some training and experience, I can see that some of the electrical work done over the years is quite shabby. Again, full disclosure has been made to the buyer, who also has an inspector's report.

Nothing of a safety issue was found, just poor routing and fastening, and a couple of switch legs incorrectly marked. Amateur stuff.