Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Stray voltage at outlet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger ale

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:55 PM

Why would I see 8 VAC from L1 to neutral when the circuit breaker is off?

Background: this is a kitchen counter outlet. It fails intermittently. We found if we just jiggled the coffemaker plug a bit it usually came back on. Not acceptable, of course, so in a matter of just a few months I dug into it. I found corrosion damage and a fried L1 terminal on the receptacle. It was also showing 120 VAC from L1 to ground, but not necessarily to neutral. This one outlet seems to be feeding two others, also at the kitchen counter.

With the breaker off, we get a reliable 8 VAC from L1 to neutral and ground. As a non-electrician I consider this to be utterly impossible.
First, do no harm.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:02 PM

sometimes, when two separate circuits are traveling through one junction box, such as some ceiling light fixtures,
or multi-gang Wall Switch boxes,
moisture / corrosion can cause leakage from one circuit to the other.
If you're measuring that voltage with "no load", it may be harmless "stray voltage", depending on the actual current available.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:20 AM

Induction? Wouldn't be at this outlet, I don't think, but there is a junction box in the basement directly below...
First, do no harm.

#4 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:37 AM

.....How many outlets on this circuit....... where is the failed outlet located to the other outlets, up-stream / downstream???? From the breaker panel to the first outlet, how many junction boxes are there ??? At the breaker do the same voltage test, Induced voltage is not rare... Two cables getting intertwined........ E.M.F. is measurable...... ( Think transformers ) ..

#5 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:28 PM

I can't tell without tearing the place apart. Besides we're moving. If stray voltage at this level is not a safety issue, the buyer will be informed and it's their decision. I replaced the outlet and we are back to normal output.
First, do no harm.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:34 AM

... If you're measuring that voltage with "no load", it may be harmless "stray voltage", depending on the actual current available.

I've seen such conditions in older houses with "cloth covered" wires.
NM (non-metallic) cable, often called by the trade name "Romex," a plastic covered-cable for use in dry locations
(older NM cable may be cloth covered).
How old is your house ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:43 AM

I've seen such conditions in older houses with "cloth covered" wires.
NM (non-metallic) cable, often called by the trade name "Romex," a plastic covered-cable for use in dry locations
(older NM cable may be cloth covered).
How old is your house ?

Built in 1880. Now that I have some training and experience, I can see that some of the electrical work done over the years is quite shabby. Again, full disclosure has been made to the buyer, who also has an inspector's report.

Nothing of a safety issue was found, just poor routing and fastening, and a couple of switch legs incorrectly marked. Amateur stuff.
First, do no harm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics