Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG Model: WM2487HRM OE Error Message

OE

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 voorheisb

voorheisb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:41 AM

Hello All:

I have gotten a OE error occasionally. I drain the tub with the hose, cleaned the basket and then all is well for a while. This started happening more frequently recently. Sometimes the drain hose is blocked with what appears to be sand. Now, we received the OE error, I try to drain using the hose but nothing is coming out even though there is a lot of water in the tub. The tube seems to be clear as it doesn't feel solid like it did when it was blocked with sand. When I reach my fingers into the drain housing, it feels like something (resembles wet toilet paper) is blocking the left impeller.

Please let me know if you need further information. Any help would be greatly appreciated as my wife is going to kill me soon.

Thanks,
Brian

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,848 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:14 AM

Sometimes the drain hose is blocked with what appears to be sand.

Is it, in fact sand? What have you been washing? Reason I ask is that if you have gotten lots of sand or grit in washer's plumbing (such as from washing gritty beach towels that haven't been shaken out before throwing them in the washer) you probably ruined the drain pump. You should go ahead and replace the drain hose, too because you risk ruining the new pump from the residual sand left in the drain hose.

Here's the drain pump part link ==> Drain Pump

This video shows how to replace it:

And here's the drain hose part link ==> Drain Hose

And here's how to replace it:

#3 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:15 AM

could it be a color sheet, could it be one of those fancy all in one laundry sheets? Posted Image

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#4 voorheisb

voorheisb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:28 AM

Thank you both for the quick reply.

To Samurai Appliance Repair Man:
I'm not really sure what it is as my wife does the laundry. It has the consistency of wet sand. We have twin 3-year-old daughters and a 14 year old son who plays football so I'm sure there have been some really dirty loads of laundry. In doing some reading, someone else commented that if I'm seeing what appears to be paper in the drain hose, that our septic tank may be full and backing up since the washing machine is at the lowest point being in the basement...gross!

One other thing: the way our builders put in the drain hook-up, it is a good 5 feet up from the bottom of the washing machine. It has worked for years but I'm wondering if this is causing problems too. Your thoughts?

To Comstock_Services:
We don't use anything in the machine other than HE liguid detergent, liquid bleach, and liquid softener that goes in the drawer up top.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,848 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:30 AM

I'm not really sure what it is as my wife does the laundry.

Now's a good time to ask. :argue:

It has the consistency of wet sand. .... a 14 year old son who plays football so I'm sure there have been some really dirty loads of laundry.

I rest my case. :argh:

#6 voorheisb

voorheisb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:51 AM

Understood. Do you think it's worth trying to clean it to see if it is just blocked or should I just replace it?

Do you really like to be paid with beer? :no:

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,848 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:59 AM

Do you think it's worth trying to clean it to see if it is just blocked or should I just replace it?

If it were my washer loaded with sand and grit, and I were going to trouble of replacing the pump, I'd spend the extra shekel to replace the drain hose; it's almost no extra work and avoids a potential ruined new pump down the road. I like to consolidate my efforts and save time 'cuz no one pays me to fix my own appliances -- but I'm nutty thata way. :silly:

Do you really like to be paid with beer? :no:

Mmm, BEER! :gulp: :beermug: :pint1:

#8 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:14 AM

<<<Sometimes the drain hose is blocked with what appears to be sand>>>

The small *black* hose next to the Pump Strainer---or the large *gray* hose behind the washer?
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#9 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:18 AM

<<<One other thing: the way our builders put in the drain hook-up, it is a good 5 feet up from the bottom of the washing machine. It has worked for years but I'm wondering if this is causing problems too. Your thoughts?>>>

The drain hose can be elevated up to 8 feet.
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

#10 voorheisb

voorheisb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:23 AM

Hi John63. The hose to which I'm referring is the small black hose next to the strainer.

#11 voorheisb

voorheisb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:26 AM

If it were my washer loaded with sand and grit, and I were going to trouble of replacing the pump, I'd spend the extra shekel to replace the drain hose; it's almost no extra work and avoids a potential ruined new pump down the road. I like to consolidate my efforts and save time 'cuz no one pays me to fix my own appliances -- but I'm nutty thata way. :silly:

Mmm, BEER! :gulp: :beermug: :pint1:

I was actually referring to the pump. Could it be that the pump is fine and the impeller is just blocked and can be cleaned rather than replaced? Is there a way to test the pump with a multimeter or something to see if it is good/bad?

If the pump is bad and I do need to replace it, I'll definitely replace the grey hose too as you suggested.

#12 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:29 AM

Not uncommon for this very small diameter hose be plugged with debris.

When using this hose to drain water from the tub---avoid fully extending the hose from the washer---as this will cause a "kink" in the hose where it is attached to the pump body. Water won't drain out.

Push the hose back into the washer about 2 inches---this will allow water to drain.

If sand or other debris is blocking the tube---compressed air (strong blast) usually clears the tube of blockage.

Edited by john63, 12 October 2011 - 10:47 AM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#13 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:34 AM

I'd replace the DRAIN MOTOR.

As these washers age---particularly those that are used heavily---the DRAIN MOTOR can become worn.

Though the impeller on the DRAIN MOTOR is "running"---it's RPM is much slower---failing to drain all of the water from the tub consistently (erratic).
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#14 voorheisb

voorheisb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:37 AM

I'd replace the DRAIN MOTOR.

As these washers age---particularly those that are used heavily---the DRAIN MOTOR can become worn.

Though the impeller on the DRAIN MOTOR is "running"---it's RPM is much slower---failing to drain all of the water from the tub consistently (erratic).

Will do. Thank you very much.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics