Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Warm Refrigerator - GE TBX22PAXCRAA

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 scatr

scatr

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:09 AM

Hi - I am one of the thousands with the warm fridge/cold freezer issue. I've done a lot of looking around here so that I don't COMPLETELY embarrass myself in front of the master, although I know that despite any amount of preparation, I am not worthy.

My fridge temp is around 40-43 degrees, with the air damper opened all the way open, and the thermostat turned all the way cold. The fridge seems to run properly - cycles on and off, all fans work, compressor kicks on and off, etc. Definitely not a problem with the light staying on inside the box.

So, I spent some time here:

http://fixitnow.com/...-frost-pattern/

and decided to get a look at that evaporator coil. I'll tell you, on this model of fridge, it was a royal pain, because once all the screws and tabs were released from the rear panel, it was still held in place by a plastic grid on the left side that directs airflow near the ice cube trays. Until I figured out how that thing snapped in place and got it released with a screwdriver, it was tough going. It snaps through the metal panel into a square air duct behind the panel, and the tabs are in the 9 o'clock and the 3 o'clock positions.

Anyway, I snapped a picture of the coil and attached it here. I don't think I have an evap coil problem, but please correct me o master for I am not worthy. I definitely don't have an iceball, and it's not frosted closed. So I don't think replacing the defroster or the bi-metal switch will help me... any suggestions?

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:36 PM

whats the thermostat set at?
Has it gradually started warming up? or was it all of a sudden?
Have you cleaned the condenser coil behind or under the unit?

Edited by Comstock_Services, 12 October 2011 - 06:44 PM.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#3 scatr

scatr

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:36 AM

The thermostat is turned all the way cold. I'm not sure if it was gradual or all of a sudden. I started noticing the milk wasn't that cold some weeks back, and then finally stuck a thermometer in there to check it out. It was too warm so I opened up the airflow to get as much cold air into the fridge, and also turned the thermostat all the way up. With both of those things done, it will get down to about 43... sometimes down to 40. Freezer is at about 6. The difference is that both of these were probably set at about half-way for the last 15-16 years.

I did clean the condenser coil (it's underneath) a couple weeks back, but I just looked again with a flashlight and there's still crud in there. It's probably 75% clean. I can't reach the rest of it with the vac or any dusters and a dowel rod only works so well. I need to get one of those special brushes to get at the rest of it.

One thought I just had. I have a generator that had a faulty voltage regulator, and over the summer it was used several times, till I found out the problem. I did have a couple electrical devices blow from high voltage (coffee maker, clock radio, etc.) Not sure if that might have done something.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:48 AM

... fridge temp is around 40-43 degrees, with the air damper opened all the way open, and the thermostat turned all the way cold.
... The fridge seems to run properly - cycles on and off, all fans work, compressor kicks on and off, etc.

i don't have a wiring diagram for that model,
but if the Compressor is cycling OFF and ON OK, but yet the Freezer isn't cold enough,
that would indicate a bad Cold Control.
Frost pattern looks good.
http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=311077

00568578.jpg

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#5 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:38 AM

What shape is the evap motor in??? does the motor spin freely when spun by your finger... it is an old style , shaded pole motor....... will run a long time but not forever........ what is your air damper indicator pointing to ' Fresh food' or ' Freezer ???.................If the motor is O.K............ then the next culprit would be a failing cold control............

#6 scatr

scatr

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:59 AM

i don't have a wiring diagram for that model,
but if the Compressor is cycling OFF and ON OK, but yet the Freezer isn't cold enough,
Frost pattern looks good.

Thanks - based on my vast experience of seeing exactly one evap coil frost pattern in real life, I was thinking it looked ok, compared to the reference pix.

Any way for me to confirm the cold control is bad?

I'm guessing I pull off the cover of the thermostat control in the fridge, and behind it sits the cold control, and I remove the current one and plug in the new one? From the picture of the part it looks pretty straightforward.

P.S. I watched the Bugs Bunny ref to RegUSPatOff - buddy of mine and I used to use that phrase a lot awhile ago because it was (maybe still is) stamped on top of a lot of urinals.

#7 scatr

scatr

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:02 AM

What shape is the evap motor in??? does the motor spin freely when spun by your finger... it is an old style , shaded pole motor....... will run a long time but not forever........ what is your air damper indicator pointing to ' Fresh food' or ' Freezer ???.................If the motor is O.K............ then the next culprit would be a failing cold control............

I'll check the evap motor.

The air damper is controlled in the fridge compartment by a wheel that's marked A-B-C-D-E, with C being half open/half closed. You can see the damper position easily - I have mine rotated all the way open to get maximum air into the fridge compartment. It had been set to C (halfway) for the last 15+ years.

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:04 PM

if the Compressor is cycling OFF and ON OK, but yet the Freezer isn't cold enough,

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

#9 scatr

scatr

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

Just an update on this: I decided to give the condenser coil under the fridge a thorough cleaning, so I bought the special cleaning brush, and also the special vacuum attachment from repairclinic. Spent about a half hour on my belly brushing and vacuuming under there. 15+ years of accumulation can't be gotten out with just the occasional vacuum around the edges.

I let everything stabilize for a couple days and then watched the temp in the fridge and freezer. It did improve some - maybe a degree or two. But since it wasn't a big change, I went with the new cold control. Installed that, let everything stabilize, and watched the temp over the last couple of weeks.

The net is that the freezer is at around zero to 1 degree, and the fridge is around 38-40. That's with the cold control turned to 8 out of 9, and the air damper turned almost 100% to the fridge.

I'm not sure if that's "OK" and just live with it, or if there's another problem. Seems like with everything pretty much maxed out, I am getting to just within the right temperature range.

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 16 December 2011 - 06:56 PM.
Added part links. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics