Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool dryer stopped working

LER7646EQO whirlpool

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mcf57

mcf57

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:34 AM

I have a Whirlpool dryer (model = LER7646EQO/14yrs old) and it seems to have stopped working. It was making a weird grinding type noise when you would start it. Once it started, it would still dry clothes fine, but then just last night, the start switch/mechanism seems to have gone as pushing it no longer starts the dryer. I checked the door and its fully closed, but still not turning on.

Now, it did start one more time about an hour later, but then didn't start again. I'm thinking it might be something simple (in the start switch or other area).

Since its a Whirlpool dryer & I have a local Sears parts store in my area, I'm hoping I can maybe get a part for it that might make it work again. I did this with my Whirlpool washer about a year ago. Got a $15 part from this Sears part store & got it working again. Hoping I can do the same with the dryer.

Any suggestions on what it could be?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:21 AM

... stopped working. It was making a weird grinding type noise
... no longer starts the dryer. I checked the door and its fully closed, but still not turning on.
... it did start one more time about an hour later,

sounds like it may be a bad Motor
Remove the Belt and try turning the Motor Shaft by hand.
Does it turn easily, smoothly ?
Also, with the Belt removed, try turning the Drum.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 mcf57

mcf57

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:24 AM

Thanks. I am at work right now and will try your suggestions when I get home later. If it doesn't turn easy (with or without belt) and it does indeed appear to be the motor, this seems like a major part. How much would this part be? Could it be easily replaced and/or be worth it or should I probably consider just getting a new unit (since its also 14+ yrs old)?

#4 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:36 PM

Quick test, open the door, hold down the door switch, have someone push and hold the start button, spin the drum clockwise..will it start/run ??? If it runs the start windings are going.............. If no run, could be the bearings, ( starting when it cooled down ).... then ya gotta do as RegU.S. . suggests.................have to get down to the motor...............drive motor p/n 279827 $ 80. clams from repairclinic

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:24 PM

Part link ==> Drive Motor

#6 mcf57

mcf57

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:24 AM

OK, I'm trying to get it going with the door open as suggested, but not having much luck. Now, I can tell you that it did start ONE more time again last night after I got home from work, but that was it. It hasn't been able to start again. I can turn the inside drum by hand though.

I also noticed something else and not sure this matters. I heard a very faint humming noise & determined that its the timer still running whether the actual motor is going or not. It will then count down to zero and stop.

Finally, most of the times when I hit the start button, nothing at all will happen. However, on occasion, it has made this buzzing type noise like its trying to start something, but can't. The buzzing noise appears to be coming from that start button area too.

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:02 AM

sounds like it may be a bad Motor
Remove the Belt and try turning the Motor Shaft by hand.
Does it turn easily, smoothly ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics