Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Tappan Electric Oven 73-3751-00/04

tappan electric oven no heat

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Fran D

Fran D

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Avery IPA

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:52 PM

I have an old Tappan Electric Double Oven and Range, Model 73-3751-00/04. The lower oven has not gotten hot since a cleaning cycle. The circuit breaker is fine and the upper oven and range top works. The oven elements are ohming out around 30-35, but I get no voltage at the terminals when I switch the thermostat on.

I searched through a couple of posts on this forum with other Tappan electrics and there was a reference to a thermal fuse, which sounds like a very good candidate. My question is, where the hell is it? The diagrams for the parts on the usual websites just show a fuse magically appearing and floating by the oven area, but not its specific location. Can anyone guide me as to where to look for this fuse? I thought it would be readily available inside the oven, but there's nothing but the elements, the thermostat probe and the bulb. Any help is appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,061 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:18 AM

Need to see the wiring diagram. Scan and post a nice photo of it or you can fax it to me at 866-315-4504 and I'll post it here as a PDF.

#3 Fran D

Fran D

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:43 AM

I don't have the wiring diagram, which would be a great help in finding the beast. I haven't been able to find one readily available on the internet. It looks like the last publish date was 1994. Hopefully, someone on this forum has a copy they can share? It looks like all range models 73-3751-00-XX share the same diagram.

#4 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:on the house...

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:34 AM

The diagrams for the parts on the usual websites just show a fuse magically appearing and floating by the oven area, but not its specific location. Can anyone guide me as to where to look for this fuse? I thought it would be readily available inside the oven, but there's nothing but the elements, the thermostat probe and the bulb. Any help is appreciated.

Thermal fuses are typically mounted on the rear of the oven, under the back cover panel. And, yes, it is the most likely candidate...
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#5 Fran D

Fran D

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

Thermal fuses are typically mounted on the rear of the oven, under the back cover panel. And, yes, it is the most likely candidate...

I was afraid of that. the previous owner "walled-in" the oven with an inch of reinforced cement and a tile floor, so I can't easily slide the oven out to get at the back. I'm going to have to find a way to it by disassembling through the front.

#6 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:48 AM

Not accessable from the fron the range needs to be pulled out from the wall to access the theremal fuse and do voltage checks.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#7 Fran D

Fran D

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:25 AM

Not accessable from the fron the range needs to be pulled out from the wall to access the theremal fuse and do voltage checks.

Unfortunately, this isn't an option for me. I'm not prepared to break up the floor at this time. I'm still a couple of years away from that project.

Looking at optional approaches, I think that I may be able to partially disassemble the upper oven and the cooktop to gain access to the rear. I'm hoping that the fuse is somewhere close to that region. If it's closer to the lower half of the cavity, then I may have to go after it from the broiler section. Wish me luck.

#8 Fran D

Fran D

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:36 AM

Just an update, I was able to get at the fuse from the top of the range. Removing the cooktop and drip pan exposed a wiring access panel (with the screw facing the wall of course!) that, once removed, allowed me to reach down behind the range and get at the fuse. It was painful, as with all white goods, the metal edges are sharp and unfinished. But, by "oil-canning" the middle of the back panel, I removed the fuse (which was bad), replaced it, buttoned it up and the oven is back in service!

It's certainly not the recommended way to go, but if your situation was like mine, you CAN get there from here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics