Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elite Trio, bottom freezer, 596.78582803 - Ice is covering freezer bottom, water on floor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gregger77

gregger77

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:57 PM

I have a Kenmore Elite trio (bottom-mount freezer), model 596.7857*, about one year old, and lately we are noticing puddles of water on the floor near the left front. Inside, the bottom of the freezer section is completely covered with about a half-inch of ice. The puddles appear about once a day, no particular timing. There is a frozen "water trace" going up the left back corner of the freezer cabinet.

I can't see how/where the water is exiting the fridge; somewhere underneath? I can't see the condenser drip pan underneath.

1) Should I chip away all the ice and see if I can find a drain that's blocked? Where is the water coming from that's getting frozen?
2) How is the water actually reaching the kitchen floor?

Thanks!

Edited by gregger77, 15 October 2011 - 03:07 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

1) Should I chip away all the ice and see if I can find a drain that's blocked? Where is the water coming from that's getting frozen?
2) How is the water actually reaching the kitchen floor?

1 yes very carefully, you will need to remove the evaporator cover also, so that you can find the drain. I usually use a steamer, or a hair dryer, or hot water to remove the build up of ice. another words dont use something that could damage the liner of the fridge.
2 its running between the door seal and the cabinet moer than likely

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#3 gregger77

gregger77

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:53 AM

Thanks. I would guess that the evaporator cover is basically at the rear wall or floor off the freezer compartment...and also guess that I have to remove the freezer drawer to remove it. Anyone familiar with this model?

Thanks!

#4 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:41 AM

yes you need to pull out the drawer, and yes it is the back wall of the freezer. I cant locate a break down at this time sorry.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:47 AM

Evaporator Cover # 11
Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 gregger77

gregger77

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:11 PM

Perfect, thanks guys. Will let you know how I make out.

#7 gregger77

gregger77

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:02 AM

Hi guys,

I am very sorry, it occurred to me I didn't leave a follow up. I disassembled everything; took the drawer front off, then the drawer liner. Disconnected and removed the ice maker. Took out the inside back panel to reveal the condensor Removing Part 21 on the diagram is a pain, gotta push in on clips on either side (look for the molded symbol for a screwdriver); I snapped the center clip off by accident.

Anyway, I then used a hair dryer to melt away all the ice in the freezer bottom, and the "trough" leading to the drain...couldn't even see the drain until a lot of ice had melted. I used a turkey baster to "bail out" water from the trough and the drain. Then, when convinced all the ice was gone, I ran a 3' length of clear 1/4" rubber tubing (left over from our fish tank days) in and out of the drain and until I was convince the line was totally clear. Then put everything back together again.

I would love to know how to prevent this from happening, because resolving this was a huge P.I.T.A. (a couple hours' work, very hard on the knees!) and I would have to do it yearly. Our fridge is not EVEN a year old!!!

-- G.

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:18 AM

Drain tube may have just been clogged with a frozen pea....

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#9 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:24 AM

http://www.repaircli...p/819043/726493 Should be able to fit one of these probes to heater, which then gets directed into the tube so that heat will aid to prevent icing, Click on Link above

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics