Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire FWT647GHS0

controller spin motor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Stocker

Dave Stocker

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:10 PM

Running through all the similiar questions leads me to believe the controller board is fried.
  • Timer is functioning
  • Door is locking and indicator light is showing this as well
  • Water will fill and drain
  • Tub will not spin or agitate
Pulled the back off. Looks like there has been some rodent issues but I haven't seen any chewed wires. I checked the motor for free movement, both it and the drum moved freely. Removed the belt. Tried powering the machine to see if motor would spin with absolutely no load. At this point noticed the fuse on the controller board and it was open. Replaced the fuse and it immediately popped. Disconnected motor and tried again. Popped immediately. Pretty much have come to the conclusion that the board is the issue. I pulled the board out of the machine to examine a lot closer to see if there was a board level problem caused by mice, and the board looks basically clean with a bit of corrosion on the heat sink and the metal of the transistors and holding screws. However, that being said, I did notice a that the capacitor C32 (200v 680 picof) dead centre of the controller board has some evidence of some scorching at the base of the capacitor.

I would appreciate some sage advice on this. I am confident in my ability to replace this capacitor with the proper part but would like to hear any suggestions.

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:39 PM

No, Do not replace the components, replace the whole board.
Scott Wolf

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:27 PM

... C32 (200v 680 picof)
... some evidence of some scorching at the base of the capacitor.

C32 (200V 680 uF )
I can't see any "scorching" in the photo..
... maybe test C32 to see if it's shorted.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Dave Stocker

Dave Stocker

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:25 PM

I agree that changing the board is the best course of action. The scorching I referred to is visible on the white band close to the base of the capacitor. There is nothing even remotely close to cause that type of burning, and the capacitor was the only component that had the browning that could be a cause for the fault. Don't think I have a lot to lose at this point as the board is in Toronto and will cost me a little over $200 while the capacitor will run substantially less. What will probably be the case was the capacitor was just collateral damage and real culprit is elsewhere and by doing a single component swap will solve nothing.

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:45 PM

... test C32 to see if it's shorted.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics