Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

viqx

AAV7000AWW admiral -- agitates fine but spins crappy or not at all

6 posts in this topic

My sister has an admiral AAV7000AWW. It agitates fine but won't spin. The belt spins fine but the tub can only eke out the occasional weak quarter turn, then stops again.

While watching it fail to spin with a fork stuck in the lid switch, she was feeling brave and gave the tub a manual push start. It sort of caught, went about six turns at a sluggish 50-70rpm and then stopped again.

Looking in the forums for similar problems, I'm guessing it has something to do with the tubs (or brake?) bound by something, but does anyone want to refute/corroborate this theory before I go over there again to do some exploratory surgery?

Thanks!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

For what it's worth, it turns out the belt is new. She just replaced it when the problem started getting bad apparently, and the new one is still in good shape. No glazing or anything.

Think I should still drop the $60 on the pulley? It was in my "cart" after looking at another thread and the takeapart diagram, but I was hoping someone would suggest a magic free fix. Cheapness springs eternal...

Edited by viqx

Remove the front panel of the washer and set the machine on the very end of the wash cycle. When the machine stops agitating and starts the spin and drain cycle, the machine should make a "thunk" noise and the motor should pivot on it's plate to allow the machine to start the spin cycle, if you don't hear the thunk and see the motor pivot on it's plate, the motor pivot plate may need some lubrication.

New thrust bearing made all the difference! Thanks! I felt silly having to buy a whole "kit" when the pulley and other parts were fine, but I appreciate you humoring my attempt at frugality. The motor was pivoting fine on the plate.

Glad I helped you fix it.

That's the only way they sell that part, as a complete kit.