Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire washer spin help GLTF1670AS0

washer spin

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 doivberg

doivberg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:30 AM

I am having problems with my Frigidaire front load washer GLTF1670AS0 Final spin cycle. After it goes through the rest of the cycles (washing, rinse), it won't do a proper Final spin and the clothes are still soaked when it finishes. But the thing is during the Final spin cycle, the clothes are still turning, just slowly -- and I guess final spin should be fast -- and the clothes are still soaked as it hasn't drained.
My solution so far has been to reset the dial to final spin a couple times, until it works. So since it does sometimes do the fast Final spin when I do this, the washer obviously has the ability to still do Final spin and drain, it just doesn't do it most of the time.
I opened the bottom of the washer and checked the hoses and pump for clogs where they are connected. I didn't find anything, which I suppose makes sense since the washer is able to occasionally do Final spin and drain, just not most of the time.
Please help! I don't know what to check next. :S

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:08 AM

... it won't do a proper Final spin

is it Pumping out all of then Water first ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 doivberg

doivberg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

During the rinse cycle, the water is pumping out I believe, but the clothes are still soaked when it finishes, so it just doesn't seem to pump out during final spin.

#4 doivberg

doivberg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:47 AM

or I wonder if the water isn't pumping out during final spin, since the final spin cycle is not ringing the water out of the clothes to the hose?... Not sure if that's how it's supposed to work.

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

has to Pump out all of the Water before it will high-speed Spin

#6 doivberg

doivberg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:26 PM

If that's the case, then I suppose most the water is being pumped out before the final spin, if you don't count the fact that the clothes themselves are still soaked at the end. But I still don't understand why if I reset it to Final Spin a couple times after the first time, it will eventually do the high speed spin? where or what should I check for?

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:32 PM

... don't understand why if I reset it to Final Spin a couple times after the first time,
it will eventually do the high speed spin?

is it Pumping any more water out when you set it to Final Spin ?
Is the Door locked ?
Is the Door really locked ?
While the Door is locked, remove the Washer Power Cord from the Wall Outlet.
Can you then Open the Door right away,
OR only after a few minutes ?

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,609 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:48 PM

If I'm reading your post right, the washer is spinning but not kicking into high speed spin? If that's the case, you need to replace the speed control board ==> http://www.repaircli...ber=GLTF1670AS0

#9 doivberg

doivberg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:57 PM

so as a test, I set the washer to just before Final spin and turned it on so water would go into the washer. Then, when I dialed it to final spin, the water did pump out.
The door was locked - the Door Lock light is on and I cannot open it. While it was locked, I pulled the power cord, and the door can open right away.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,609 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:01 PM

While it was locked, I pulled the power cord, and the door can open right away.

Valuable additional info! This indicates a bad door latch assembly ==> http://www.repaircli...ber=GLTF1670AS0

Replace it before the speed control board.

#11 doivberg

doivberg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:01 PM

hi Samurai, it does kick into high speed after a couple tries, if I re-dial it to final spin after the initial cycle. It just doesn't do it on the first try, or sometimes the second.

#12 doivberg

doivberg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:21 PM

Valuable additional info! This indicates a bad door latch assembly ==> http://www.repaircli...ber=GLTF1670AS0

Replace it before the speed control board.

This is interesting, because I had just replaced the door latch with a new one a couple weeks ago, before all this started. (I thought I had a faulty door latch at the time, when in fact the rubber lining was simply not secured properly). In any case, I tried connecting the door latch both old and new as in the video, but the door will still open immediately after I unplug the power. Unless I am connecting it the wrong way, and I don't see any other way it can be connected, I'm not sure what is going on.

#13 doivberg

doivberg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:08 PM

can the wires of the door latch assembly only connect in one direction or could it be backwards somehow causing it not to function properly?

#14 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:13 PM

can the wires of the door latch assembly only connect in one direction

How would you do that ? :kopkrab:
Doesn't it just plug-in ?

#15 doivberg

doivberg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:17 AM

yes it just plugs in. that's why i don't understand how the latch could be the problem. I just wonder if I did something wrong when I put in the new latch, because the issue seems to have started not long after replacing it, and the door can be opened immediately after unplugging the power -- which you seem to indicate is not right.

#16 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:34 AM

... door can be opened immediately after unplugging the power -- which you seem to indicate is not right.

...after a minute or two in the Spin Cycle ..
OR it may be a bad Controller (or it's connections)

#17 doivberg

doivberg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:11 AM

So this is what I found. I replaced the door latch with the old one. When the washer is running in rinse cycle, if I turn off the washer by pushing the knob in (instead of by pulling the plug), the door can open after a couple minutes -- so I guess this is good. With the old latch in place, I was able to go through a wash cycle normally the first time, it did the fast spin during Spin cycle and all the water was drained. I am not sure if this was a fluke or maybe the "new" door latch was faulty. I will have to do a couple more test runs to see if it is really fixed. Will let you guys know soon. Thanks.

#18 doivberg

doivberg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:23 AM

just FYI, it has been a couple weeks since I replaced the door latch, and the Spin cycle seems to be working again. It does occasionally behave badly with the clothes coming out soaked again, but usually it is good again. So I guess this was the problem, when I tried to change the door latch the first time. Thanks so much for your help in pointing me to this part of the washer!

#19 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:52 AM

Check the shocks for cracked or broken ends. Also check the spin basket for excess movement. Is it loud when spinning high speed empty?
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics