Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Duet Dryer GEW9200LW1 Won't Start

Duet wont start dial selector dryer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RedDrumJay

RedDrumJay

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

My elderly dryer has had a stroke. First, early stages of dementia were setting in - I would turn the selector knob, but lights on the other side of the dial would light up, and I couldn't get a cycle to start - other than manual. Being lazy, I decided I would just do everything on manual until I had a chance to fix it.

Unfortunately, dementia progressed to a seizure. I am still able to set times for the manual cycles, but now when I press and hold the start button, the motor doesn't start. There is the expected beep along with a small audible "click". The dryer is clearly hallucinating, as sensing light comes on as if the motor has started...but it hasn't. I'm not sure how to break the news to it that it isn't really running. :lol:

I shot a video of me putting it in diagnostic mode and going through all the tests in hopes of someone being able to quickly point me in the direction of what to check first. I did not get E1, E2 or E3. The selector lights did not respond for the video test (though they did on the first try - go figure), and the dryer did not start - I just got the thing beeping back and forth as shown at the end of the video:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RTFM

RTFM

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

there is a thermal fuse on the blower housing that is in line with the motor, if it goes the motor wont start. it is a white, thin (not round) ceramic fuse with 2 wires and one screw holding it to blower housing. common causes for fuse to blow is relay in board for element is stuck closed, duct blocked up, element is grounded out, and/or it hates you. kill the power to the dryer, remove the lower kick plate cover, look where i said, remove fuse and check for continuity, 0 ohms means good, mega ohms means bad. good luck
'you could break a steel ball with a rubber hammer' - DAD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Duet, wont start, dial, selector, dryer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics