Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE refrigerator: no water after replacing water filter

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tom2769

Tom2769

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:53 PM

I just replaced my GE Monogram side-by-side's water filter, and am now getting no water flow from the dispenser. I used an Aqua Fresh model WF287 water filter (I've used this brand/filter before, and in fact removed one to replace with the new one). Water flowed fine before replacement, but now nothing. When I installed the filter, it appeared to seat properly (turning about 1/3 of a turn and seating up into the ring), and I filled the new filter with water before replacing it. I took out the new filter and tried the old one again, and still no water flow. I can hear the water solenoid click when I activate the dispenser. I also pulled the filter out altogether and activated the dispenser. I got a few drops of water out of the filter nipple, but that's it. I'm scratching my head on this one...
Thanks, Tom

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:56 PM

did you turn the House Water Supply back ON ? :whistling:

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Tom2769

Tom2769

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

Yes. Well, actually, I never turned it off, just unscrewed the filter and screwed teh new one back on. But I DO wish it were that easy!

#4 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:16 PM

remove the service pannel on the back of the fridge, the remove the larger water line, and use a glass to catch the water. have a helper to push in the water dispenser lever, while you check for water at the valve. if water is there, then, check at the dispenser untill all the air is out of the line. If no water there after 5 mins, check for frozen water tank.... Please post your model number so we can further assist you.

Edited by Comstock_Services, 17 October 2011 - 08:19 PM.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#5 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

Battling this problem in the past, I have found it helpful to verify house pressure to and from the filter head (the part the filter screws into).
if you have good pressure to the filter, take the line to the water valve off and see if you have psi there...if not clogged or jammed filter head.
also check what that raving mad man posted earlier...
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#6 Tom2769

Tom2769

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:50 PM

Mad Man, model # is ZISS480D. It's a built in, so there is no service panel in back. I pulled the toe kick off and found the large water line. It is reduced to a smaller line with a quick-disconnect. I pulled the small line out of the QD, and I've got water pressure there - basically right out of the wall - it's pressurized. I found a second QD right before the water line goes up into the lower hinge on the freezer door. I pulled that quick disconnect, and have no water pressure at that one. Does anyone have a diagram (or map) of the water lines in thie fridge? If I knew where they ran, I might try to access them at various points and see where ai lose pressure.

I've read about the common water line freezing issue, but I doubt that would be it that since I had water right before I changed the filter, and didn't have water right after I replaced the filter. Agreed?

#7 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:07 PM

your line should not be frozen, more than likely if you remove the water line to the filter base, you will have pressure there. and I would put your old filter back in to verify that your new filter is not bad. when you run the water at the valve, you have pressure, it goes from the wall, to the valve, from the valve to the filter base, from the filter base to the resivor, to the bottom of the freezer door, to the dispenser.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#8 Tom2769

Tom2769

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:06 AM

Comstock and Kurtis, that makes sense, I need to check the pressure at the filterhead - and all along the path. BTW, put on my old filter - same results - no water. Based on Comstock's path description, if I understand correctly, since I don't have pressure at the line where it goes into the freezer door, I've got a clog/issue upstream from that location.

Also, should have mentioned this earlier, but wasn't even thinking about a clog: when I took apart the quick disconnect where the water comes into the fridge I got pressure, but there was also some white/greenish grainy stuff in the line - couple teaspoons worth. Since it was where the water comes INTO the fridge, I thought it was just hard water scale from the house line, but I went back to the trash and examined it some more - could be some filter material (?)...maybe it came from upstream in the fridge line and settled down to the disconnect since it is at the bottom of the fridge. So I'm going to pull it apart and follow the line. I'm pretty handy, and I'm sure I can get it apart, but any suggestions on where to look for access to the line and filter head would be a much appreciated. Thanks, this is very helpful. Tom

#9 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

Need yer complete model # so we can look at the breakdown to help you further ...
about 7 different models that begin like that...try to get it right off the tag on the product.

#10 Tom2769

Tom2769

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:50 PM

Kurtis, the complete number is: ZISS480DRGSS. Thanks, Tom

#11 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:28 PM

Looks like that model only has a single stage valve, meaning the supply line coming to your water valve is the outlet of the filter base. So try disconnecting that and checking pressure.
So your icemaker is not working either?

#12 Tom2769

Tom2769

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:04 PM

Correct, the icemaker is down too. Just so I understand you correctly, when you talk about the valve in your post above, is that also known as the water solenoid? The solenoid I'm referring to is above the fridge in the service access panel, and I can hear it click and hum when I hit the water dispenser actuator. Wife's got me working on another project, but I'll check to see if I have pressure at teh solenoid in the morning. Thanks for your input.

#13 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:27 PM

Yep, that's it...  http://www.repaircli...er=ZISS480DRGSS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics