Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Gas Range. Live insulated wires?

GE Range Electrical problem shocking shocks shocked me

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheApplianceTechnician

TheApplianceTechnician

Yamabushi

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud light

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:29 PM

I'm going to call this one "Something BIT ME!". Not literally but I did get shocked today for the first time in a long time. I ran across a range that the oven was not heating. Pulled the ignitor and saw that the wires were charred and unattached behind some porcelain wire nuts. No big deal right? So after getting the whole bottom of the oven out to gain access to what was left of the wires I saw that the insulation was black and charred but not so bad, just looked like a wire burned up. I pulled the old wires out and ran some new ones around the back of the range, re-assembled, turned it on and nothing. So at my splices I was going to check for power and zap!!! When I grabbed the wires it shocked me. ??????? (insert profanity here) I couldn't believe what had happened. I took out my meter and sure enough from the insulated wire to ground I was getting 100-110v. I propped up my meter and my leads to get my arms and hands out of the way and took a pic because I wasn't sure I believed it myself. Anyone else ever run into this?

I replaced the wires and that corrected the live insulation problem but the ignitor would never come on. I checked the voltage across the wires (one from the gas valve and one from the orange wire in the harness) and only got 44v. Any of this make sense? Also when I had the old wire in my hands I ohmed out the insulation to the wire and got ol on the meter. I'm confused about this one.

Attached File  IMG_0820-2.JPG   140.98KB   16 downloads

“A man is most accurately judged by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or to reciprocate.”

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:36 PM

Sounds like you have either a bad oven thermostat or a bad electronic control. You should not have votage going to the ignitor wires when the oven is turned off.
Scott Wolf

#3 TheApplianceTechnician

TheApplianceTechnician

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:42 PM

"Turned it on" as in set it to bake, voltage went to 0 when I cancelled the bake or I'll dare say "turned it off".

“A man is most accurately judged by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or to reciprocate.”

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:54 PM

If there was any grease, oil, or carbon from a charred wire, etc, on the outside of the insulation,
it can be a conductor from a non-insulated (or another charred section) portion of the wire.

If there is 44v across the Gas Valve, it's bad ... should only be 3v
Range model number ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 TheApplianceTechnician

TheApplianceTechnician

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:07 AM

Thanks, but you can see the wire in the pic. There is a little black spot on it but not where the meter was sitting to get the voltage. The wire was intact and even ohmed it when I pulled it off from connector to insulation and got nothing.

JGSP23WEY1WW

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:21 AM

... a little black spot on it but not where the meter was sitting
...The wire was intact and even ohmed it

1) may be some oil residue on the insulation, try cleaning with alcohol
2) try your OHM meter on the highest MEG-OHM scale

#7 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:06 PM

is it possible that the polarity is reversed?

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,403 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:15 PM

With all that zapping going on, it's also possible that the bimetal in the gas valve got smoked. UNPLUG THE RANGE, remove one of the ignitor wires from the gas valve and ohm across those terminals. Should read nominally zero ohms. If you get some high resistance reading or open, the gas valve is FUBAR.

#9 TheApplianceTechnician

TheApplianceTechnician

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:20 PM

Thanks guys,

Ohmed it out with the ignitor unattached and got a weird reading, I know it wasn't 0 but don't remember exactly what it was.

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

... I know it wasn't 0 but don't remember exactly what it was.

should be 1 OHM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GE Range, Electrical problem, shocking, shocks, shocked me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics