Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Newly installed maytag tub bearing making loud metal grinding noise (Model LAT9356AAE)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 khakes

khakes

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:HoneyBrown

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:43 PM

I just finished installing a Maytag washer bearing (also replaced the tub seal) and now it is making a very loud grinding noise even worse that before (before it wouldn't even spin much).
Don't know what to do - did I install it incorrectly? I'm kinda choked because I was extreemly carefull to clean everything and ensure a good fit without any errors. All is good except when it hits 30-100% spin cycle and then the bearing just howls like a jet plane taking off... $220+tax in parts and about 7 hours later and this is where i'm at... wife is not happy and I feel like a fool for trying now... any help appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

... $220+tax in parts and about 7 hours later and this is where i'm at... wife is not happy

... sorry, I don't know the answer
(maybe someone else on here does)
should've been here a week ago : :mellow:
http://appliantology...but-now-269-ea/
goes on sale every few months
(until they're gone. . . no longer made)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:56 PM

Please tell me you also replaced the mounting stem, boot and seal kit as well as the tub bearing.

The price is very low for this job. I usually get around $350.00 for this job and only takes me about 2 hours to do the job.

Did you replace the cork mounting stem too?
Scott Wolf

#4 khakes

khakes

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:02 PM

Yes I replaced the mounting step and boot seal kit, and the outer tub bearing kit... wish I would have paid someone now but they probably wouldn't have done the job anyway given the prices of washers these days. Any help appreciated... i'm in the dog house for a while unless I can fix what I didn't fix.. Khakes

#5 khakes

khakes

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:07 PM

I also replaced the belts. Water was leaking from the bearing on load and spin.. the ones I replaced were in horrible shape. Before changing the spin was only about 75% and the agitation was about 1/2.

I wasn't supposed to grease the bearing was I?

#6 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:11 PM

Did you run a dry spin cycle after you replaced the parts to lubricate the mounting stem like the instructions said to?

No you aren't supposed to add any lubricant to the parts.
Scott Wolf

#7 khakes

khakes

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:12 PM

No I didn't... no instructions that I could see. My common sense told me to lube it with something so I put on a little detergent.... i'm thinking that was probably a bone head idea?

#8 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:15 PM

Yup, you ruined it by putting detergent on it. Don't put anything on the seals. You are supposed to run a dry spin cycle after you install the parts.
Scott Wolf

#9 khakes

khakes

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:20 PM

I can take it apart now that I know how fairly quickly.. the bearing immediately makes noise the first time I used it... would adding something wet like detergent cause all the grinding right from the start?... i'ts only gone through 2 spin cycles and is just as bad as the first time it spun up.... is there anything else I could try to either diagnose or take apart and start over?... the bearing was so smooth, I can't imagine why it would squeel/grind so fast....

If I take it apart and clean it and put back together, is it too late for this.... again, only 2 spin cycles, would the detergent actually eat up the bearing?

#10 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:23 PM

Yes, go buy new seals and replace them again with NO lubricants and when you are done, run a dry spin cycle.
Scott Wolf

#11 khakes

khakes

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:26 PM

I'm not too terribly familiar with washer parts terms, but by seals do you mean a new tub bearing?
I didn't lube anything else except for the tub bearing, even then it was simply film that I put on...

#12 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:29 PM

Yes, buy a new tub bearing.
Scott Wolf

#13 khakes

khakes

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:37 PM

One last question, if you don't mind. Please don't take this the wrong way, I really do appreciate your help... but have you personally experienced someone either putting lube on (detergent) and/or not running a dry spin cycle and the second the spin cycles starts at 30% going up the bearing is wreaked? .... or are you suggesting that b/c the instructions say to run a dry cycle that the assumption is that I immediately (after the first few turns of the drum) that the bearing becomes scratched and grinding starts immediately? In order for grinding to happen the bearing would have to have damage... i'm just suspect that there might be something more to this problem and for me to buy another bearing at $88 (yes, prices in canada are double) what are the chances that something else caused it (I didn't install it with right tightness, etc. What it comes down to is : How sure are you it's my bone head detergent that caused it?

#14 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:41 PM

The detergent may have caused it. Or you could have installed something wrong or too tight.
Scott Wolf

#15 khakes

khakes

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:44 PM

Too tight??????? I'm thinking back now, I did tighten the nuts for both top and bottom fairly tight, the lower tub one fairly snug until it couldn't go further... maybe this was wrong. Listen, i'll have to pay it forward for all your help.... is this something you do by trade?

#16 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:50 PM

I've been an appliance repair person for 20 years and I worked for Maytag Factory Service for 10 years. Here in the USA Maytag had it's own service technicians that were employed by Maytag.
Scott Wolf

#17 khakes

khakes

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:04 AM

A big thanks for your help. Although i'm uneasy about buying another bearing - I can see your recommendation comes with credentials so I guess i'd better. I might try to back off the tightness just to see what happens, maybe even take out the bearing and clean it and put it back in to see what happens. Too bad parts are not like the US prices... know anywhere I can get appliances parts shipped USPS at US prices? Thanks again. If anyone else has any comments feel free - in the meantime I know what I have to do.... give up a few more work lunches... khakes

#18 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:12 AM

If you do clean the bearing use a dry lint free cloth.

I used to have an account with AP Wagner, but they got bought out by Marcone, so I closed my account. AP wagner would have let me buy parts and have them shipped from one of the Canadian branches, then ship the parts to you.
Scott Wolf

#19 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:57 AM

Personally, I don't think you have ruined your new tub seal kit, they are a little more forgiving then Scottthewolf is making them out to be, (but not much).

Just take it apart and clean it up good with a clean dry lint free cloth and put it back together except for installing the main spin basket. Then put it in a spin cycle, (leave the water off), and let it spin for just a little and see if it is making any noise. If not then install the spin basket, (Make sure you have it centered before you tighten the nut down, that maybe your problem now. If you didn't center the tub and just tightened the nut down it is the most likely cause of your grinding noise - the spin basket could be grinding against the outer tub.).

With the spin basket centered and tightened down good, (you really can't over-tighten the stem seal or the tub nut either), put it back in spin and let it spin for the two minutes, dry, to run the seal in.

If this all goes well, then it will be time to fill it with water and make sure the new tub stem seal isn't leaking.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#20 gcw1

gcw1

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:01 PM

If there was enough water leaking out it could have got inside the brake package killing the spin bearing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics