Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

khakes

Newly installed maytag tub bearing making loud metal grinding noise (Model LAT9356AAE)

39 posts in this topic

I just finished installing a Maytag washer bearing (also replaced the tub seal) and now it is making a very loud grinding noise even worse that before (before it wouldn't even spin much).

Don't know what to do - did I install it incorrectly? I'm kinda choked because I was extreemly carefull to clean everything and ensure a good fit without any errors. All is good except when it hits 30-100% spin cycle and then the bearing just howls like a jet plane taking off... $220+tax in parts and about 7 hours later and this is where i'm at... wife is not happy and I feel like a fool for trying now... any help appreciated.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... $220+tax in parts and about 7 hours later and this is where i'm at... wife is not happy

... sorry, I don't know the answer

(maybe someone else on here does)

should've been here a week ago : :mellow:

http://appliantology...but-now-269-ea/

goes on sale every few months

(until they're gone. . . no longer made)

Please tell me you also replaced the mounting stem, boot and seal kit as well as the tub bearing.

The price is very low for this job. I usually get around $350.00 for this job and only takes me about 2 hours to do the job.

Did you replace the cork mounting stem too?

Yes I replaced the mounting step and boot seal kit, and the outer tub bearing kit... wish I would have paid someone now but they probably wouldn't have done the job anyway given the prices of washers these days. Any help appreciated... i'm in the dog house for a while unless I can fix what I didn't fix.. Khakes

I also replaced the belts. Water was leaking from the bearing on load and spin.. the ones I replaced were in horrible shape. Before changing the spin was only about 75% and the agitation was about 1/2.

I wasn't supposed to grease the bearing was I?

Did you run a dry spin cycle after you replaced the parts to lubricate the mounting stem like the instructions said to?

No you aren't supposed to add any lubricant to the parts.

No I didn't... no instructions that I could see. My common sense told me to lube it with something so I put on a little detergent.... i'm thinking that was probably a bone head idea?

Yup, you ruined it by putting detergent on it. Don't put anything on the seals. You are supposed to run a dry spin cycle after you install the parts.

I can take it apart now that I know how fairly quickly.. the bearing immediately makes noise the first time I used it... would adding something wet like detergent cause all the grinding right from the start?... i'ts only gone through 2 spin cycles and is just as bad as the first time it spun up.... is there anything else I could try to either diagnose or take apart and start over?... the bearing was so smooth, I can't imagine why it would squeel/grind so fast....

If I take it apart and clean it and put back together, is it too late for this.... again, only 2 spin cycles, would the detergent actually eat up the bearing?

Yes, go buy new seals and replace them again with NO lubricants and when you are done, run a dry spin cycle.

I'm not too terribly familiar with washer parts terms, but by seals do you mean a new tub bearing?

I didn't lube anything else except for the tub bearing, even then it was simply film that I put on...

Yes, buy a new tub bearing.

One last question, if you don't mind. Please don't take this the wrong way, I really do appreciate your help... but have you personally experienced someone either putting lube on (detergent) and/or not running a dry spin cycle and the second the spin cycles starts at 30% going up the bearing is wreaked? .... or are you suggesting that b/c the instructions say to run a dry cycle that the assumption is that I immediately (after the first few turns of the drum) that the bearing becomes scratched and grinding starts immediately? In order for grinding to happen the bearing would have to have damage... i'm just suspect that there might be something more to this problem and for me to buy another bearing at $88 (yes, prices in canada are double) what are the chances that something else caused it (I didn't install it with right tightness, etc. What it comes down to is : How sure are you it's my bone head detergent that caused it?

The detergent may have caused it. Or you could have installed something wrong or too tight.

Too tight??????? I'm thinking back now, I did tighten the nuts for both top and bottom fairly tight, the lower tub one fairly snug until it couldn't go further... maybe this was wrong. Listen, i'll have to pay it forward for all your help.... is this something you do by trade?

I've been an appliance repair person for 20 years and I worked for Maytag Factory Service for 10 years. Here in the USA Maytag had it's own service technicians that were employed by Maytag.

A big thanks for your help. Although i'm uneasy about buying another bearing - I can see your recommendation comes with credentials so I guess i'd better. I might try to back off the tightness just to see what happens, maybe even take out the bearing and clean it and put it back in to see what happens. Too bad parts are not like the US prices... know anywhere I can get appliances parts shipped USPS at US prices? Thanks again. If anyone else has any comments feel free - in the meantime I know what I have to do.... give up a few more work lunches... khakes

If you do clean the bearing use a dry lint free cloth.

I used to have an account with AP Wagner, but they got bought out by Marcone, so I closed my account. AP wagner would have let me buy parts and have them shipped from one of the Canadian branches, then ship the parts to you.

Personally, I don't think you have ruined your new tub seal kit, they are a little more forgiving then Scottthewolf is making them out to be, (but not much).

Just take it apart and clean it up good with a clean dry lint free cloth and put it back together except for installing the main spin basket. Then put it in a spin cycle, (leave the water off), and let it spin for just a little and see if it is making any noise. If not then install the spin basket, (Make sure you have it centered before you tighten the nut down, that maybe your problem now. If you didn't center the tub and just tightened the nut down it is the most likely cause of your grinding noise - the spin basket could be grinding against the outer tub.).

With the spin basket centered and tightened down good, (you really can't over-tighten the stem seal or the tub nut either), put it back in spin and let it spin for the two minutes, dry, to run the seal in.

If this all goes well, then it will be time to fill it with water and make sure the new tub stem seal isn't leaking.

If there was enough water leaking out it could have got inside the brake package killing the spin bearing.

Well, I have an update. I took everything apart tonight, cleaned the tub bearing off as suggested and put outer tub back on without anything else (as suggested by Senpai) and ran. Looks like it is not the bearing that I just replaced... the heavy grinding noise is coming somewhere from transmission or below. Here is a link to a video I took of the sound... of course could not get up to speed because the trans is not hooked to anything - could be dangerous. One thing I did is replace the belt which was loose (actually both pump and main belts)... I can't be certain but i'm pretty sure that the noise is worse since I did this... but only by a little bit. Regarding the last note by Ikk - how could water kill the brake package and in turn kill the spin bearing... isn't the spin bearing the one I just replaced....? Don't know much about the brake package... is this under the washer?....... anyway I have no idea what to try next... any help appreciated. Here is the link to the video that shows the extent of the grinding noise when turn on/off at spin cycle... note: no real noise during agitation that I recall.

Here is the video:

http://videomail.shaw.ca/view/28848997526-1319082074-13306/

Looking under machine the brake package is above the drive pulley. I would suspect some there at looking at the video.

From the video I posted, can anyone else suggest what part below the transmission is most likely causing the problem? Upper bearing, lower bearing, pads below tub support, break components, etc?? Water was leaking in the washer for about 2-4 months... didn't think it could get into the lower bearing (think it is called the spin bearing) but is it the most likely one needing replacing? Any thoughts?

I am not sure what's causing the noise, it could be a bad brake package, which is under the machine, attached to the transmission pulley.

certainly someone has experienced similar symptoms as I can imagine the problem would be common. I ordered the lower bearing even though the is one on the top of the brake as well, unfortunately I have to guess at this point because I don't want to install unnecessary parts. Wish there was a way to test which part is casing the problem... Ie put some oil on the lower bearing and see if noise dampens, etc. If anyone has any ideas I'd pay it forward for them... Wife is calming down a bit ...