Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire Dryer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 justmetag

justmetag

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:48 PM

Our Fridigaire Dryer Model FDE546RES1 popped the breaker while running...I unplugged it and reset the breaker...had power to light up the drum light, but wouldn't start.  Then it popped the breaker again, I unplugged again and reset.  When I plugged it back in, it sent off a blue spark from the plug.  Is there a fuse in the dryer itself  that might be blown? Or is it the plug on the wall, or perhaps the cord?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:18 PM

Does it pop the breaker in the air fluff cycle as well? 

Does the dryer cord fit snugly into the outlet?

#3 justmetag

justmetag

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 03:30 AM

After the first time it popped the breaker...it wouldn't turn on anymore...but the drum light was working (when I reset the breaker.)  The cord fits very snugly..we've had this dryer in this house for a little over 2 years.

#4 justmetag

justmetag

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 04:24 AM

We plugged the dryer back in, and there is power because the drum light is on.  With the setting on  Air Fluff..I turned the knob from off and it pops the breaker immediately...don't even get a chance to set it and push start button.

#5 Joy

Joy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 05:45 AM

[user=458]justmetag[/user] wrote:

Our Fridigaire Dryer Model FDE546RES1 popped the breaker while running...I unplugged it and reset the breaker...had power to light up the drum light, but wouldn't start.  Then it popped the breaker again, I unplugged again and reset.  When I plugged it back in, it sent off a blue spark from the plug.  Is there a fuse in the dryer itself  that might be blown? Or is it the plug on the wall, or perhaps the cord?

I have the same exact problem, but with my Maytag dryer, Model #DE 303.

It flipped the breaker while running.  I reset the breaker and tried to start it.  There was a blue flash and loud pop :shock:, and it flipped the breaker again.  Is it dead? 

I just replaced the belt and blower fan on it (thank you for your help with that!) so I'd like to revive it if possible.

Also, I just had the house electric system upgraded from 60 amps to 200, but the wiring was NOT redone.  Could that have overloaded it?

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 15 November 2005 - 08:37 AM

Both of you in here that is popping the breakers with blue flashes, need to take these dryers apart and get a visual on where and what has a direct short, might see some burnt areas where the fault is happening..I would be un-plugging these until this is resolved.  Anything that is shorted would usually show some black /melted evidence and some pitted metal where the short is happening.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:29 PM

Good advice, Pegi.

Just and Joy, here's some help on dryer disassembly.

#8 justmetag

justmetag

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 04:02 PM

We have purchases a digital electric meter and checked the various componets for the OHM reading, accourding to the device it should read "0" if it has continuity,  The only device that did not red "0" was the timer.  We took the time apart but there was no sign of a "burn". 

Does it sound like we are on to something or we are going down a rabbit whole?

Thanks

weedhopper

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 05:04 PM

Check the resistance from one of the line (not the neutral or ground) spades on dryer's plug to a bare metal point on the cabinet with your meter set at the highest resistance setting. Should read infinite resistance. If you get something less, there's a short somewhere that you need to track down.

#10 justmetag

justmetag

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:31 AM

The piece (SEE ATTACHMENT)had fallen out of its bracket and had touched the motor (on the label).  This caused it to short out the dryer.  I have since put the piece back into the bracket and secured it with electrical tape.  When I put the dryer back together it started up.  However now the dryer will not shut off unless you open the dryer door.

Any ideas.

Thanks,

Weedhopper.

Attached Files

#11 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:56 AM

That is the internal overload for the motor, when this touched the motor might have shorted the timer contacts in the timer...
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 12:21 PM

Good find! :cool:

#13 justmetag

justmetag

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:55 AM

The timer I have installed is new, yet the dryer will not shut off.  could have I connected a wire to the wrong terminal?  I did mark each wire , but I could have made a mistake.

Thanks,

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics