Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung DV219ew/Xaa dryer electrical short on one hot leg

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jeremyb

jeremyb

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:57 PM

Help! I bought this samsung DV219ew/xaa used yesterday and I tested it before I bought it to make sure it was in working order. I attached the correct cord for my dryer (a 4 pin). I plugged it in and proceeded to almost fry myself when I touched the dryer and the metal cover of the electrical outlet (ground) at the same time.

After a little poking around with the volt meter I found the dryer seems to have a short between the case and the black hot lead. This particular wire goes from the incoming power to a relay on the control board, turns to blue and then goes down the back of the dryer to the element. I cannot seem to find anywhere that the wire is contacting the case or is loose.

Any ideas?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:05 AM

On a (4) Wire Dryer connection, the Green Wire should be connected to the Cabinet to prevent such electrocution chances.
The Heating Element might be partially shorted to chassis (ground)
OR you have the Cord wired incorrectly.
Did you check your Wall Outlet for correct voltages / ground / Neutral / connections ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 jeremyb

jeremyb

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:43 AM

I did check the outlet and it is correct. I have the green ground to chassis, red to red, black to black, white to white. I have even tried removing the cord and checking the black to chassis and the same thing happens, so the cord can't be the problem. I have the meter on continuity and it shows continuity between the black hot leg and the chassis. I disconnected the blue wire from the element and there still seems to be a short. Is there a wiring diagram somewhere?

Edited by jeremyb, 22 October 2011 - 01:47 AM.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:04 AM

If the Wall Outlet is wired correctly,
and if the Green Wire is connected to the chassis,
and there happens to be a short from the Black Wire to the chassis,
it would blow the House Circuit Breaker

#5 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:47 AM

Check the heat element. Look for a warped or broken coil. If it was handled rough, the heater tube may be knoked out of place.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#6 jeremyb

jeremyb

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:23 PM

Well I took it all apart and put it back together and now it works. Go figure. Thanks for all the advice.

Edited by jeremyb, 23 October 2011 - 10:24 PM.

#7 jeremyb

jeremyb

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:12 PM

Ok, so I thought it was fixed. Last night I ran a load and it ran great. I turned it off before the cycle was over since the clothes were dry enough for me and it was quite late. This morning I went and out in a new load, set the cycle and pushed start and......nothing. Motor does not come on. Everything else seems to work, you can set the cycle and push start and hear a relay click and then nothing. I turned it on timed dry and the timer counts down but nothing else happens. Arrrghhh.

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

If the Wall Outlet is wired correctly,
and if the Green Wire is connected to the chassis,
and there happens to be a short from the Black Wire to the chassis,
it would blow the House Circuit Breaker

something doesn't seem to be wired correctly / and / or / a loose connection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics