Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag MGD9600SQ0 Gas Dryer - How to Remove Cover?

MGD9600SQO Dryer Cover

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gardeningfan

gardeningfan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:08 PM

We have a used Maytag MGD9600SQ0 Gas Dryer. The previous owners seemed to use a lot of fabric softener, based on the disgusting residue in the washing machine. When we got the dryer a year ago, interior of the dryer drum had some black gook that was similar to the black gunk in the washer. We cleaned the interior of the dryer and the black gunk hasn't returned. But now, a year later, the dryer seems to take a lot longer to dry than it used to and there is a kind of sour smell after it runs for any length of time. I think it's probably a combination of lint build-up and fabric softener residue. It is not a burning smell.

I can't seem to find anything in the owners manual that shows how to remove the outer cover of the dryer so that I can see the outside part of the drum. I've seen posts on other dryers that say "It's easy!" but I can't seem to transfer that info across to how to access my dryer.

If someone could explain how I can remover the outer cover/case of my dryer so I can clean up any lint (and anything else), I'd appreciate it.

Thank you!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

Remove the three hex-head screws from the rear flange of the dryer’s top cover.
Lift the rear of the top cover and slide it back so the tabs clear the catches on the bracket,
and remove the cover from the unit.
NOTE: Make sure that the tabs slide under the bracket catches when you reinstall the top cover.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 gardeningfan

gardeningfan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

Thank you. I have followed your directions and taken off the top cover. I can see the drum from the top, but it doesn't seem to have any lint residue or anything else, which surprised me.

Is there any way to see the drum from the bottom and/or sides? When you view the dryer from the front, below the front door is a panel that looks like it should come off, but I can't see how. I feel like if I could see behind that, it would possibly have gunk that needs to be cleaned. But maybe not, since I don't know much about dryers.

What else would be causing this sour smell? Lint build up? That doesn't make sense to me. I'd expect more of a burning smell from lint.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

... Is there any way to see the drum from the bottom and/or sides?
... What else would be causing this sour smell?

1) you could turn the Drum by hand
2) dead mice and / or any of their bodily functions.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 gardeningfan

gardeningfan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:31 PM

1) you could turn the Drum by hand
2) dead mice and / or any of their bodily functions.

When the top of the dryer was off, I turned the drum by hand. It turned easily, I didn't see anything that looked unusual or out of place, and there wasn't any lint on it.

As for mice, we have no evidence of mice anywhere. I think if we had mice, I'd see some evidence somewhere. So while that might be a possibility, I don't think it's really likely.

I took the vent off the back and had a look at the vent tubing. There was no lint build up to speak of. I vacuumed it anyway, but it didn't seem to need it.

Is there any way to remove the cover on the front, bottom part of the dryer, under the door?

#6 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:49 PM

There are 2 or 3 screws that hold the bottom panel on. Hit the deck with a flashlight and find the screws.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

How to remove the top panel on a Maytag MGD9600 gas dryer

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 22 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

Piece of pie, tovarish! Grand Master RegUS_PatOff calls the dance steps:

Remove the three hex-head screws from the rear flange of the dryer’s top cover.
Lift the rear of the top cover and slide it back so the tabs clear the catches on the bracket,
and remove the cover from the...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics