Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Now to the Clothes Dryer...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_paul260426_*

Lurker_paul260426_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:35 PM

This dryer has a large four prong electrical plug. Two straight, one at the top is dome shaped, one at the bottom is L shaped. I cannot find a terminal box for it here in the Dominican Republic. I have tried to find a match on the internet and come up empty. I probably am not using the correct terminology in my search and therefore no results. Do you guys have a name for this type plug? Where can I get a wall terminal outlet for it? Can you tell me what each prong means. I take it the two straight up are the hot wires. What is the L and the Dome? Trying to figure out how I might wire this if I cannot find the outlet box.

Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Lurker_paul260426_*

Lurker_paul260426_*

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:48 PM

It is a Petra90-2024 4 wire dryer cord 30A. I found a matching cord. Now I need the wall outlet for it. Still searching the net. And the one prong is not domed shape...it is round.

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:43 AM

This is just a regular 4prong dryer cord, nothing uncommon here in the states, don't know what they have over there in DR.

You are correct, the two outside straight legs are the two hot circuits, (110Volts on each to make 220v), --- go to black an red.

The L shapped one is neutral -- goes to white

The dome shapped is as you said round, that is your earth ground to cabinet --- goes to grounding screw on cabinet.

The recepticle to match this is nothing special and would be available in just about any hardware store in the states, again in DR, don't know what they have.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 April 2005 - 03:42 AM

Some additional info on dryer cord and plug configurations here.

#5 Lurker_paul260426_*

Lurker_paul260426_*

Posted 30 April 2005 - 11:32 AM

Thank you. I will have to rework this. Add circuit breakers and outlet and change out the dryer cord.

#6 neckhardt

neckhardt

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:22 AM

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

Some additional info on dryer cord and plug configurations here.

Oh Samurai San,

Both pictures of the terminal strip point to the left picture when clicked for an enlargement.

Neal

It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:10 PM

Nay, nay, my dear apprentice.  The left thumbnail shot pernts to this picture while the right thumbnail pernts to this'n.  Study them carefully and thou shalt ascertain the difference betwixt them.  Ah shanti.

#8 Lurker_AdvisePlease_*

Lurker_AdvisePlease_*

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:21 AM

Have replacement dryer, and old dryer 3-wire cord.  would you recommend
1) reusing this cable and 20 year-old receptacle, or
2) bringing receptacle up to current code with 4-prong connection and cable?

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:00 AM

If the dryer cord plug and the outlook look ok, just plug it in and happy drying..
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#10 Lurker_AdvisePlease_*

Lurker_AdvisePlease_*

Posted 07 June 2005 - 02:34 AM

Further inspection of the circuit wiring reveals that the prior owner installed 10/2 with Ground, and used the uninsulated ground as (Hopefully!) Neutral conductor; :yikes: I'm not comfortable leaving things that way for the next fifteen - twenty years, so I'm going to bite the bullet and rewire everything then install a new four-prong outlet & cord... sigh

#11 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 07 June 2005 - 03:39 AM

safety first!!!
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#12 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 07 June 2005 - 05:53 AM

Is good you checked this stuff.  Here in Texas the new electrical code on new construction or remodels states this new 4 prong do-jiggie plug and cord have to be installed on dryers and electric ranges, like the mobile homes have always had. 
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics