Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

time to replace, not repair

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chilidog

Chilidog

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:50 PM

There comes a time in every appliances life when it it simply time to pull the plug, bite the bullet and upgrade to a newer machine. That being said, it is time to replace the washer dryer set with a new set. She Who Must be Obeyed, has expressed an interest in a front loading washer. I have explained to her about the potential mold issues related to those machines, and our budget compared to the top end machines.

In any rate, for those of you out there who deal with front loaders on a regular basis, are there any models to avoid?

Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:13 PM

... are there any models to avoid?

GE (parts prices and repair info)
Frigidaire / Electrolux
Samsung (parts prices / availability / service info / complicated electronics)

stay with
Whirlpool / Maytag / Amana
LG
Speed Queen

multiple choice drop-down menus, etc
http://www.ajmadison.com/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

I agree with reg except...
electrolux has some new units out (on the market approx. 2 years) that I have been very impressed with...
hardly have done any repairs on these with the exception of a few cosmetic issues...no motors/bearings/control boards...
not the cheapest ones out there but definitely the largest capacity...dryer is cavernous!
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:03 PM

the potential mold issues related to those machines,

More related to the user - just remember to always use hot water (it's only a few gallons) and DO NOT overdose with detergent and additives (a few gallons of water only requires a dab of detergent). There is just no information assembled that focuses upon the owners of the machines that do use correct dosing etc.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:25 PM

Specifically...

HE (regular strength ) : (2) Tablespoons Per Wash

HE 2X (double concentrated) : (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X ( triple concentrated) : (1) Teaspoon
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#6 delawaredrew

delawaredrew

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

Just as a note, brand name on the front (at least in the US) means little.  Maytags are all Whirlpools now, some were Samsungs.  Some Whirlpools/GE/"insert name here" are or were fridigaire built and most Electrolux I've seen are Fridigaire based. All Kenmores are someone elses.  

Question really is who actually made it...Many Whirlpools seem to by Bosch built, or at least the same 3rd party un-named manufacturer. Example: Ever see a CAN-AM branded appliance?  You never will but they make dryers for other name brands.  It is hard to tell from the consumer end what you are getting, those of us who work on these can often see common internals that give clues,( or coded in the model #s in Kenmores).

---Whirlpool---  (110.xxxxxxxx as Kenmores) I'm not very confident in anything whirlpool right now as I've seen a bunch of rear bearing failures (death if out of warranty) in very young whirlpool and maytag machines; as in under 1 yr young in many cases.  In several models also.  The new top load design is also not expected to last long either by most of us.
---LG---Generally I like these and I have seen few major issues with LG machines, a few sensor related things and a few leaky valves.  LG makes some Kenmore also - look for "796" as the prefix of the model#) As a brand however LG doesn't have a long history in the US in washers so time will tell
---Samsungs --- (401.xxxxxxxx model # if Kenmores) I have also seen a few probs with them but nothing major.
---Frigidaire/Electrolux--- (417.xxxxxxxxx if Kenmore) Older design frigidaires had a decent rep and at least a decent warranty, modern ones are 1 yr like everyone else.  Electrolux seems to like to apply a gadget wizard to their design team to attach little touches like retracting main knobs and one push self opening dispenser drawers.  I've changed more than a few of the drawers due to broken or bent plastic bits in the spring system, it requires an entire drawer and valve asm on many units - all for a $.0005 piece of plastic.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:13 PM

Some other thoughts on appliance brands here: Appliantology Newsletter, June 2011: Samurai’s Appliance Brand Recommendations

#8 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:33 PM

The Whirlpools/Maytags that are built in Mexico are inferior junk. Main bearing failures in 6 monthes or less. If it has "Made in Mexico" on the data plate, do not buy it.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:54 PM

.., are there any models to avoid?

post "considered" model number here for opinions

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#10 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:54 PM

The new Whirlpool Duet front load washers are a completely new design and they are assembled in Clyde, Ohio. PLEASE give them a chance to prove themselves before you tell everybody not to buy them.
Scott Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics