Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE PDS22SBSLSS Issue

Main board

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BMDUBS

BMDUBS

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:01 PM

Hi Guys,

I have a GE bottom freezer fridge that has been acting up for a few months. It started with an intermittant black out of the temperature display. A few weeks ago the lights went out all together and I lost the ability to control the temperature on the fridge/freeze. i assumed that it would stay at a default temp and that all was good.

On the weekend I had a power outage for 5 minutes at my house and that when I noticed the fridge/freezer was no longer cooling. Doing some research I am lead to believe that the main board is the culprit. The fridge makes no sounds what so ever anymore. Even when I plug it in I hear no relays clicking.

I have pulled the main board to inspect and I see on the board P/N#/Service number WR55X10416. Upon closer inspection I see four burn marks on the board on the rear of the curcuit board labeled "R6, R7, R8 & R12". One of the connectors to the board from what I believe to be a transistor mounted to a heat sink middle left on the board has also been completly severed from the burn.

From the research I have done, I want to see if any of you know why this has happened from my description. I am nervous buying a new board only to have it fry due to another problem with one of the other components that has caused this original circuit board to fail.

Please advise how to proceed and if there is anything else to check or troubleshoot before installing a new board?

TIA

Attached File  GE 1.jpg   169.43KB   19 downloads

Here is a picture of the back of the board...

Attached Files

• Attached File  GE 2.jpg   136.11KB   16 downloads

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:16 PM

depending on the first (2) digits of the Fridge serial number, MotherBoard may be covered under recall.
Would also need to check to see if the Freezer Evaporator Fan is shorted before installing new MoltherBoard ...

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 BMDUBS

BMDUBS

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for the reply!

The S/N is GL043741.

Is there any service manuals available for this fridge? I am familiar with using a meter to test the fan, Im just not sure how to find it!

Thanks

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:52 PM

... The S/N is GL
... Is there any service manuals available for this fridge?

1) GL = APR 2006 :thumbsup:
Bottom Mount Full Door
Oct 05 - Jul 06
MotherBoard covered under recall and possibly Evaporator Fan
GE_Refrig_Board.pd

GE SERIAL.pdf

2) For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice==>
http://apprentice.applianceguru.com

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 28 January 2012 - 10:18 PM.

#5 BMDUBS

BMDUBS

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:12 PM

Thanks for the input and for cross referencing my S/N :)

Good news is that it is covered under warranty. I wonder if I should call GE and see if they will send someone out to fix or if ill just have to go to a local GE distributor to obtain the board?

I will check your link you provided... I am going to need to find out where the Evaporator fan is to test it. I assume I am looking for a dead short on the motor or is there a resistance value I should be seeing if it is ok?

Thanks again RegUS_PatOff!

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:25 PM

If someone comes out... you pay "service call" labor
GE may send you the part.
Evaporator Fan # 610 inside Freezer, behind # 732
Page from 31-9072 Arctica Pro SxS.pdf
Posted Image

#7 BMDUBS

BMDUBS

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:44 PM

Hmmm, thanks for the blow up and for the PDf... Seems I have around 800 ohms between harness J2 pins 3 and 8. I will have to get to the motor in the freezer to test directly. It is calling for 1.5k-3k ohms. I will look into it further tomorrow and I will post back with my results,

Thanks

#8 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:26 AM

Still pretty funny that LG builds this refrigerator for GE, but GE has to put their own motherboard in it.
Scott Wolf

#9 BMDUBS

BMDUBS

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

Ok, after endless communication with GE they ultimatley refused to help me as I am located in Canada after confirming my fridge is covered under the warranty. They would not send the parts accross the border even if I paid for the shipping :mad:

GE Canada has sold all its service to a third party company called Mabe where I cant even get out of an automated system to speak to a human being! just got the run around in other words. I said to myself when I started this that these systems are designed to wear you out and give up so I was not going to. After 3 months of dicking around, thats it. I am forced to pay GE close to $500 for an evaporator fan and new mother board.

I swear to god I will never buy another GE product and will urge everyone I know not to either as their out sourcing (poor quality parts)and poor/non existent customer service is enough to drive one mad! /rant

Can anyone suggest a good online source where I can get these parts for a more reasonable rate? Ebay looks like my only choice right now...

#10 BMDUBS

BMDUBS

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

Ok So I finnaly got around to replacing the main board. I found that both the fans are working on the fridge. I set the fridge to Turbo cool and the freezer is showing a temp of 62 degrees after about 30-45 mins since I plugged the fridge back in. How long should it take to cool both compartments down to normal temps from warm?

#11 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

could take 24 hours

#12 BMDUBS

BMDUBS

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

Ok so it seems that the fridge and frezer have reached 33/0 degrees respectivley but the compressor and the fan in the back are still running. This damn thing hasnt run is soo long that I dont remember how long it used to run for?

After the refrigerator reaches the desired temperature, how long should the compressor and fan normally run for?

#13 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

depending on room temperature
maybe 2 hrs ON
1 hr OFF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics