Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Failed Thermistor #5 PSS25MGNAWW

thermistor ge PSS25MGNAWW

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Dmzauk

Dmzauk

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:58 PM

Hello,

Looking for a bit of help.

I have a GE model PSS25MGNAWW and I performed the self test and it showed a failed thermistor in the freezer. I got test results on the display as freezer P and on the FF side I had 1,2,3,4 and then O on the freezer which O being failed ff #5. So it went like this P1,2,3,4,O 5 and a couple beeps. Which is a failed #5 thermistor. I replaced the thermistor and re-set the unit and re-tested and same thing O #5. So, I thought I had a bad part so I tried another brand new thermistor and same results. I am stuck and dont know what to do. Can anyone offer any help? The unit seems to be running fine but I hate knowing it is saying something is not right and want to correct the issue if I can.

I tested the brand new and original thermistor in a cup of cold ice water and let it sit for 5 minutes and I got a reading of 15.5 on the multimeter. Is that in the passing/good range? All 3 thermistors (1 original 2 brand new) read this on the multimeter. Leads me to think the original one was not bad but the system said it was.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:57 PM

only models with "Quick Chill" have 5 Thermistors
The Thermistor Test numbers may have changed when they changed MotherBoard part numbers

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,977 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:43 AM

The Golden Rule and its concept, although not officially considered a part of the Ten Commandments, permeates each and every commandment. Similarly and although not officially part of the Samurai's 12 laws of appliance repair (samurais-12-laws-of-appliance-repair), the concept of the following "Golden Rule of Repair", is interwoven into the very fabric of not only laws as provided by the Samurai, but any and all intelligent laws regarding repairs: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

ps....I agree with Reg, the board is used on a number of different fridges. Just curious, where and how did you locate the #5 thermistor.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 27 October 2011 - 04:48 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:58 AM

..; Just curious, where and how did you locate the #5 thermistor.

may no longer apply / replacement MotherBoard has been redesigned
from 31-9072
Thermistor test sequence is:
1. Fresh food top thermistor
2. Fresh food bottom thermistor
3. Quick chill thermistor (displays 0 if unit is not equipped with Quick Chill option)
4. Evaporator thermistor
5. Freezer thermistor
may no longer apply / replacement MotherBoard has been redesigned

#5 Dmzauk

Dmzauk

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

#5 is the freezer from the tech manual as the other user posted above. I do have the quick cool feature on my unit. I have not changed the motherboard. Is there anyway to tell if the motherboard has been changed?

So, when I run the test I get P1,2,3,4,O5 followed by a couple beeps. So, a failed thermistor on #5 (freezer).

The unit say's it is not working but tried 2 brand new thermistors and it still said it was not working.

Does anyone know what the next step is to figure out why I am getting this fail on the freezer thermistor? Could it be the motherboard is bad on that thermistor?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

-David

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:14 PM

I only see (2) Thermistors in the Freezer and (2) in the Fridge
. . . . original M/B WR55X10174
replacement M/B WR55X10942

Posted Image

#7 Dmzauk

Dmzauk

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

I have 5 cause I have quick cool. Which is thermistor #3.

Thermistor test sequence is:
1. Fresh food top thermistor
2. Fresh food bottom thermistor
3. Quick chill thermistor (displays 0 if unit is not equipped with Quick Chill option)
4. Evaporator thermistor
5. Freezer thermistor

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:42 PM

I only see (2) Thermistors in the Freezer and (2) in the Fridge

where is the Quick Chill Thermistor located ?

#9 Dmzauk

Dmzauk

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

where is the Quick Chill Thermistor located ?

I have no clue. I am just going off the tech guide and that I do have the quick chill option. But I do get a O5 reading so failed freezer thermistor and I have tried two brand new thermistors and same fault code even with a brand new thermistor installed.

Can you offer any advice on what I should do to fix this issue I am having?

#10 Dmzauk

Dmzauk

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:25 AM

Can anyone offer any advice to fix this issue I am having?

Thank you for your time and advice.

#11 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

What was/is the problem for you to run a diagnostic test??? Check the resistance of the thermistor from the main control board.....It will check for broken/ damaged wires in the circuit..... measure from terminal J1-5 ? to J1-6....My copy of the schematic it fuzzy...It's not the eyes :blinky: ...keep us posted.........

#12 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,977 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:02 AM

Okay, although I find it anathema to fix a working fridge, you could always purchase a new board from Repairclinic. If same result, send it back and re-install your old board.

I'll also offer something of which I'm really not sure but I will fall back on Mr Spock's implausibility quote and suggest it anyhow. The last four pins on your board's J1 connector is for "Model Select." Based upon the thermistor/ quick chill discrepancy as noted by GMF RegUs, it could be something going on with the connector or board at this location. Just a wild guess and making assumption that "model select" does what its title suggests.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 01 November 2011 - 11:31 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#13 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

This may be relevant.....Two previous G.E. refers that I have worked on, 1) mod # I forget- ADORA was the make and the second one, M # -gth22sbnarbs....... both had the same issues...Cool correctly and then warm up for a while then start cooling correctly...Food lost every time.....On the ADORA, I started to push lightly on the components on the board, nothing until I pushed on the large capacitor.....It curled my hair. :woot: ..bleeding cap.......Replace the main board P/N WR55X10942 All is well....The second unit was brought to the warehouse and plugged in and a recorder data logger was installed....Erratic operation.......When the compressor was not running, ( but was calling for cooling ) I pushed on the components ( rubber glove this time ) when I got to the J-8..J-9....J-11.... connections I pushed on the plug and the comp. started ... removed the board but did not see anything.. reinstalled board......I pushed on the terminal when ever I was at the warehouse and the comp started.....Replace the board with WR55X10942..( and the evap fan ).. All is well.... The whole point is, the boards may look fine but the components / connections/ traces fail.... With the second G.E. I had the luxury of keeping it for 60 days.. ( gotta call the customer to come and get it )....I second what Durham App. suggests, order the board and give it a try.........
Posted Image
..........before board...

Posted Image
.....after board................Logger copies...... customers lovem

#14 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:09 PM

Very nice report !
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#15 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:19 AM

Dayyam, that's some sho nuff professional looking graphs, CTG! :dude:

#16 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:54 AM

Supco mod# SL300............... Twice as good as the old Mod# 200... The # 300 can record one reading every 2 min. for 60 days or up to every hour for 1800 days if you need.......... mine are set for every 5 min. for 150 days...............It helps with a problematic freezer or fridge..... I have one in a freezer in a store , will monitor day and night........... helps when the customer says it will not get cold enough during the day, ( are the doors being held open too long? , doors not getting closed..... cranky cold controls ) .........Tests accuracy of their in unit thermometers.

#17 Dmzauk

Dmzauk

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:23 AM

Thank you for the help. I guess I will replace the board and see what happens and see if it still reports a failed thermistor.

#18 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:28 AM

Control board part link ==> http://www.repaircli...5X10942/1531075

If it doesn't fix the problem, return it for a refund!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: thermistor, ge, PSS25MGNAWW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics