Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag MDE3000AYW clothes dryer: Underlying cause of door switch failure?

Drum does not turn Not working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Clouds-Wind-Mist

Clouds-Wind-Mist

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

Dryer stopped operating (no drum rotation). Door switch was faulty (no power on the circuit that sends current to the dryer's functional parts).

I replaced the faulty door switch. Now have high voltage at the motor (as determined with a voltage detector) but dryer still does not operate. Start switch is functioning OK. Lighted controls on panel are functioning OK.

Other than a bad motor, what else could be the problem? Could a short somewhere have caused the door switch to become fried?

Is there something I can check with a voltage detector and/or volt meter?

Note that I am too puny (seriously) to remove the motor.

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,617 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

If you're getting 120vac (nominal) to the motor at the correct windings but the motor no workee, then i think you're dealing with an open neutral somewhars either inside the dryer or at the dryer's power supply. If it were a gas dryer, checking the outlet for an open neutral would be as easy as plugging in a lamp. Not so straightforward in a 240vac circuit like on your dryer but it can still be done with a little understanding of the dryer power strip anatomy and using a lamp with alligator clip attachments.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics