Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Noisy GE - TFB26SPDABS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bigbluediesel

bigbluediesel

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Dr. Pepper :P

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:31 PM

First - I know better than to own GE appliances. All of my Whirlpool / Kitchenaid appliances are cruising along nicely. However, my brothers GE side by side (model TFB26SPD BS) is a beast. The evaporator fan is loud enough to hear from the next room. Would that be remedied by a replacement blade? A blade adjustment? New fan motor? I haven't pulled it apart, but it is a constant noise that has persisted for months - unlike my other brother's Samsung which was making icicles that grew into the fan until it stopped.

Another question - the filter clogged which starved the icemaker and the water dispenser. I put a new filter in and bled it through the water dispenser. Is there a trick to getting the icemaker to fire up again? I've turned it off and then back on hoping it would initiate a cycle. The tray is clear and water free. It is one of the replacements from repairclinic.com - not the original GE icemaker.

Thanks to all.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:06 PM

A new fan motor will soothe that savage beast...check the filltube to see if it is plugged with ice.
this happens sometimes when water pressure is very low (clogged filter?).
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#3 bigbluediesel

bigbluediesel

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:26 PM

So is it bearing going out on the motor that makes it so noisy? I remember reading something about a fan blade mounting issue somewhere but I can't find it. Also, I just spent the last hour reading about how crappy the IM6 is. I read about how it is being "replaced" with the WR30X328 when stock is depleted, but when I search that number, I come up with a RIM300 icemaker replacement. Anyone have any experience with these?

#4 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:46 PM

Some GE SxS evaporator fan blades will ride up on the shaft over time and rub against the plastic cover.

#5 bigbluediesel

bigbluediesel

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:44 PM

Nobody has any experience with the RIM 300 icemaker?

#6 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:56 PM

Don't recognize that #, but the I/m they replaced the im6 with is pretty crappy in its own right.
on a positive note, it is non-electronic...
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#7 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:19 PM

RIM300 is a Supco replacement icemaker. I guess you could say it's the generic replacement. Did you test the water valve and make sure the fill tube isn't frozen?

#8 bigbluediesel

bigbluediesel

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:58 AM

That's on the list of things to do when I get back over to his house. He's working 80 hour weeks so he hasn't been able to mess with it. Thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics