Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire FWT645RHS0 - won't spin... inconsistent troubleshooting results.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 goatsauce

goatsauce

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:45 AM

OK, this one is messing with my head a bit. Got a FWT645RHS0 with the classic "won't spin" problem.

I've read a bunch of forum posts, and have followed several versions of the troubleshooting flowchart, both in the actual wiring diagram for the washer, and a couple others online.

My results are incongruous with the troubleshooting flows. Here's what I've done so far.

-) run down all the typical issues with the pump - cleaned, tested, etc. Pump is working fine.
-) removed and tested the door switch assembly. All contacts are clean and close correctly. Wax motor reads 1.6ohms and bench tests fine.
-) motor tests fine (2.6ohms).
-) power to the speed control box. Pins 5-6 read 120. All good.
-) speed control fuse - fine. (It's opaque - I can't see the filament. Normal?)
-) voltages on 10-pin harness. Should read 120 on 2, 6 and 10. Should read 0 on pin 1 (and 9). It doesn't. It reads 120 on 2, 6 and 10, and reads 36v on pin 1 (and 9).
-) if voltages are not correct (they aren't... 36 != 0) ... check the timer contacts 1,5,7 C->B should be closed and 3 B->C should be open. They are.

So, the voltages being incorrect leads to testing the timer, which is correct, which means the voltages should be right, which they aren't. I can't find a next step to break out of this loop. If bad voltages are the result of a bad timer, but the timer tests ok, why are the voltages off?

-) resistance checks on the speed control 6-pin.

This is where the existing flowchart get thin on detail. When testing resistances on the speed control board, should this be done with the 10-pin connected and power on? Or with everything disconnected and power off (bench test)? I've done both. In both cases, the resistances measure way off from 3Mohm. They read open with power engaged, and about 400k on the bench.

My testing leads to a defective speed control board, but the weirdness along the way makes me hesitant to drop the coin on a new one.

It should be noted that at various points along the wash cycle, the motor will 'spasm'. It jumps for just a second, but not nearly enough torque to turn even the empty drum.

I'm open to any suggestions and hope for some expert clarification before I drop cash I don't have on a board that may not be bad.

Thanks!
G

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:56 AM

even though the timer contacts showed continity they may be opening under the load .

Did you test for volatge at the speed control board with the plug connected or disconnected?

If plug was disconnected from motor control then that would lead to a bad wire possibly in which case you
would need to verify voltage coming out of the timer (at the timer plug) .
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:58 AM

... When testing resistances ... should this be done with the ... power on?
... along the wash cycle, the motor will 'spasm'. It jumps for just a second, but not nearly enough torque to turn even the empty drum.

1) ALL resistance measurements are with power disconnected ... as mentioned in your meter user manual
2) sounds like a loose connection somewhere ...

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 goatsauce

goatsauce

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

PatOff, thanks for the reminder... I've been writing software for so long I'm really rusty on all this.

appl.tech, thanks for the tips, which led me to a couple more test cases with the following results:

-) tested voltage at the timer, 2, 6, and 10 read 120, and pin 1 reads 40v. This is with the harnesses *disconnected* from the motor control box.
-) hooked everything back up everywhere. 2, 6, and 10 read 120, and pin 1 reads 0v.

Voltages read the same both at the timer and down at the motor control, and everything is pristine, so I'm feeling pretty good about the connections.

Any other ideas? You guys are saving me here, I have three women in this house checking in on me every 15 minutes! o.O

#5 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

If your suppose to have 110V on pin # 1 but have 0V and the plug was disconnected from the
motor control then it definitely sounds like you have a bad timer.

Double check the wire terminal (pin 1) in the timer plug to ensure it not pushing out of the
connector or not making good contact with the mating timer pin.
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

AccApp wrote:

First rule: It's not the timer.
Second rule: It's probably not the timer.
Third rule: It could be the timer. But rule out all other possibilities first.
I have yet to replace a timer in a Frigidaire built f/l washer ...
I can't count how many SCU's I have replaced

"If between pin 5 to pins 2, 6, and 10 reads 120 VAC
and between pin 5 to pins 1 & 9 read less than 50 VAC."

Defective speed control board.
could be a bad / loose solder connection on the Motor (Speed) Controller

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:37 PM

Part link for the speed control board ==> Motor Control Unit

If it doesn't fix it, return it for a refund! :blinky:

#8 goatsauce

goatsauce

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

OK Fellas, thanks for the help. Connections are all good and tight.

I'd like to follow up with another question. A helpful pal on another forum suggested the following procedure (which I hadn't seen before). This suggestion has me testing from the hot lead (6) on the six pin, not the common (5).

Do this EXACTLY:
Program and start the washer in Drain/Spin Cycle
Disconnect both the six and ten pin plugs from the speed control board
Measure the voltage drop between Pin #6 of the six pin plug and pins #1-#2-#6-#9-#10 of the ten pin plug
If you have 120 VAC on any of those pins, replace the Speed Control board
If you have any other reading besides 120 VAC, replace the Timer board

Well, I realize this goes against the 99.763% true "it's not the timer" rule, but I read 15v on pins 1, 2 and 10, and 0v on 6 and 9. That's clearly his path to a new Timer.

Thanks for the links to repairclinic.com. I'll definitely be getting the part from there, once I'm sure which part to buy!

You guys are the best...
S

#9 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:53 PM

Order 'em both - chances are good it's the Motor Board, but who knows ?

http://www.repaircli...mber=FWT645RHS0

01237892.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#10 goatsauce

goatsauce

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:49 PM

Well, being thorough I took the timer out and inspected it. Didn't realize it was mechanical with no circuitry. I now understand why they don't go bad. (Probably only in cases of extreme wear and tear, or locations where humidity and corrosion risk are high, and really - how many people do 30 loads a day in a chemical factory?)

I've ordered a speed control board.

Thanks!
G

#11 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:22 PM

I now understand why they don't go bad.

An unbalanced load in the machine can cause the tub to jump up and down and smash the timer to smithereens, seen it numerous times.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#12 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:16 AM

But it's not the timer, It is the motor control board!!!!

I tell you that test for the four contacts in the timer never seem to work out correctly and it's always the motor control board even when the test for those four contacts come out negative.

The positions of those four contacts make up a binary code which the board receives and the software in the board than interprets that code and does a particular function as required by the code received.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics